News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

RAD ROVER6+ has no key lock out?

Started by DaveNancy, October 25, 2021, 05:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

DaveNancy

Rover 5 had a key lock out, the 6+ I have no longer has that feature..... so how the heck do you lock out controls/power when get off bike and step away?    Somoen can quickly jump on it and go?

Very disappointed with RAD that they lacked including basic password option to enter, this needed to give controller a 2 step method to start throttle control.

I have emailed RAD to see how to lock out controller when off bike - no reply yet.     I'll update what I hear.

UPDATED 10/26.... RAD replied and they act like it is no big deal.   Seemingly care less about common sense.........

I am 100% dismayed at RAD as a company to be so inept to launch a 2021 product with a electronic controller like it is from2001.   Even low cost cell phones today have a option for basic 3 or 4 digit security passwords to enable use.  Their controller on a $ 2000 e-bike should at minimum include simple user option to enter a security passcode to engage battery power.   

Dang unhappy customer - I have to lock my bike just to get off it for a quick bathroom break on the trail to feel safe leaving bike unattended.   If power was disengaged I would feel safe walking short distance from bike, but with power on in a push of the obvious button a thief could be on bike and uncatchable in seconds.

>:(

JimInPT

I saw that on Ryan's City video and got it confirmed here yesterday by a new City owner.  How incredibly stupid to not spend a bit more money on a $2,000 bike to lock out power to the system, especially when that feature has been standard on older models for years.

On the other hand, did you know that the previous-generation batteries (i.e. almost all of them) can be unlocked and stolen with a simple uncut blank key available for 7 bucks on eBay?  I carry a blank on my keyring to prove it to other Rad owners who don't believe me when I tell them.

Rad seemingly still hasn't figured out key locks yet, for some reason.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

ericwn

Wow, that is just stupid in both cases. Thanks for the heads up!

Mori55

I'm always worried when I park my bike at my granddaughters school a kid my touch the power button and twist the throttle when I park it.
  Only thing I don't like on the plus.

DandJ

While we are whining:   Another stupid change from RR 5 to 6 is there is now no battery fuse on the battery to protect it from a host of glitchy power  related events.   So now, if the gitch happens, your battery is toast.

geekxx

I got my Rover 6+ a couple of weeks ago, and indeed there is no power lock out. A little weird, however it doesn't bother me that much since regardless of a power lock, anyone can hop on the bike and drive away in manual mode, right? Locking out power wouldn't stop someone from stealing your bike which is why I always lock it up if leaving it unattended.

SergeL

Quote from: JimInPT on October 26, 2021, 07:48:48 AM
I saw that on Ryan's City video and got it confirmed here yesterday by a new City owner.  How incredibly stupid to not spend a bit more money on a $2,000 bike to lock out power to the system, especially when that feature has been standard on older models for years.

On the other hand, did you know that the previous-generation batteries (i.e. almost all of them) can be unlocked and stolen with a simple uncut blank key available for 7 bucks on eBay?  I carry a blank on my keyring to prove it to other Rad owners who don't believe me when I tell them.

re the "universal key": went to a lockmith's to have them cut a spare key for my battery, which I had taken along. I gave them the blank reference number to save time. One of the locksmiths there told the one helping me that those are the batteries that work with a blank key, no need to cut them. He was adamant about not cutting it, since a cut key might not work so well on my battery! 

Mori55

Quote from: SergeL on November 24, 2021, 07:50:41 PM
Quote from: JimInPT on October 26, 2021, 07:48:48 AM

re the "universal key": went to a lockmith's to have them cut a spare key for my battery, which I had taken along. I gave them the blank reference number to save time. One of the locksmiths there told the one helping me that those are the batteries that work with a blank key, no need to cut them. He was adamant about not cutting it, since a cut key might not work so well on my battery!
My problem someone hitting the power and twisting the throttle. I park my bike at granddaughter's school and just worried about a kid doing that.

Fionn

I was surprised that this feature is omitted, does anyone know how to put the battery into transit mode? I read somewhere that you can receive a battery and it may not turn on because it's in this special mode. Holding the button down on the battery for a few seconds will olace it in live mode apparently.

JimInPT

Quote from: DandJ on November 13, 2021, 06:51:46 PM
While we are whining:   Another stupid change from RR 5 to 6 is there is now no battery fuse on the battery to protect it from a host of glitchy power  related events.   So now, if the gitch happens, your battery is toast.

A forum member, I think it was "DickB" posted a thread about this in the last few weeks when he repaired one of these new batteries for a friend.  There IS a fuse, but idiotically it's buried and the fuse holder is soldered directly to the circuit board, requiring disassembly of the battery shell and removal of some shrinkwrap weatherproofing to get to it.  But once you excavate the location, it just slides out like any other fuse.

Truly stupid design, especially when they've been shipping a good, fuse-maintainable, design for years and could have shoved it into the new-battery designer's face and just said "do it THIS way".

Rad has clearly gone backwards on a number of irritating details in the new designs; I'm happy with and keeping my MiniST 2, although I added a small u-lock to prevent theft of the battery with a blank key, just in case.  I'm thinking of putting my new upgrade controller into a plastic controller box to help protect it - this would require losing the new lock for it to fit, so I have to decide.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

mrpgray

We have both RR 6+ ST and SO.  I bought 2 carrying cases that we bungee on the back. When we have to stop we Zii Lock the bikes AND take the batteries with us in the carrying cases. And that's just to prevent the quick opportunist thrives. It won't stop a prepared pro if they have 5-8 minutes. So, the bikes are also insured and registered. Finally, we're very selective (as much as we can control), about where we stop, and lock the bikes in high visibility areas. The only exception is when we eat at roadside where the bikes are in plain sight. It's a ritual, but it's worth it.

jbfoster

I guess since RAD could not figure out how to design a key lock that works RAD did away with the lock all together.

HokieInIdaho

I'm a bit disappointed and confused here as well. Let me portray a different usecase other than theft.

You lock up your bike while in dining or shopping. What's to stop kids from coming up and powering on the bike and then full-throttling the motor? What's going to happen? Broken spokes? Maybe not. Burn up motor? Not sure.

Is Rad going to cover that under warranty for this oversight? There's got to be a solution for disabling battery/motor while locked up without having to take the battery with you. Kind of defeats the whole purpose of locking the battery into the frame.

Tree

Quote from: HokieInIdaho on March 08, 2022, 08:43:40 AM
I'm a bit disappointed and confused here as well. Let me portray a different usecase other than theft.

You lock up your bike while in dining or shopping. What's to stop kids from coming up and powering on the bike and then full-throttling the motor? What's going to happen? Broken spokes? Maybe not. Burn up motor? Not sure.

Is Rad going to cover that under warranty for this oversight? There's got to be a solution for disabling battery/motor while locked up without having to take the battery with you. Kind of defeats the whole purpose of locking the battery into the frame.

I'm pretty sure whatever you're describing is not covered under warranty. Possibly insurance, but you not wanting to remove the battery is your decision.

HokieInIdaho

No, insurance isn't going to cover that I don't believe - good luck with that!

So, it's official. If you have a RR6+ or a RC5+, you want to use it to shop, dine, etc. AND you don't want people tampering with your bike, then you must remove and CARRY the battery with you. But don't worry, they've made the battery lighter and slimmer for this! (Don't ask why there's a keylock on the battery if you can't leave your battery in the bike unattended). Seems obvious it was an assumed miss they've accepted.

Our suggestion for this issue is to turn the battery off and remove it from your bike to carry with you.

We made the battery slimmer and lighter compared to our previous model to make carrying and storing the battery easier for our customers!