News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Lag is a Drag

Started by pehayes, October 16, 2021, 03:41:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

pehayes

I've never ridden another RadMini.  Mine has a serious power lag.  I don't know if this is normal or if there is some glitch in my controller.
When I start pedaling I may have more than one full turn of the crank before the power assist jumps in.  Perhaps almost 2 seconds delay.  When I stop pedaling to coast, the power assist continues delivering for perhaps another 2 seconds.  Not an issue along the road, but it can be a nuisance and risk when navigating a parking lot.

What say  you?  Normal controller reaction?  Or does yours add and cutoff the power near instantly?

Patrick

JimInPT

Your startup lag seems about normal to me; Rad programs pretty-gentle rampups to help prevent accidents, I think.  You can blip the throttle gently to get quicker launches.  But off the top of my head, I think my power assist cuts off after about one second or a little less - if it's really two seconds that seems a bit too long.

Aftermarket controllers offer the ability to tweak this a bit in their settings; I've ordered the Bolton 35A kit for delivery in January for planned installation on my MiniST in March or April after my warranty expires.

Interested to hear from others on this.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

Veggyhed

I believe mine kicks in in about half a crank. Do you have drag from bad bearings and your wheels or maybe your brakes? Do your wheels spin freely? Is your crank sensor clean?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

rutrowlb

Quote from: Veggyhed on October 19, 2021, 11:25:37 AM
I believe mine kicks in in about half a crank. Do you have drag from bad bearings and your wheels or maybe your brakes? Do your wheels spin freely? Is your crank sensor clean?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
I have the same experience about half a crank in the power system pulls in

Omidia Ramin

As a piece of info, I have an eggrider which lets me modify this. I Took off the lag entirely, was on a ride  and got some crap stuck in my gears, so I put the bike on the kickstand so I could get it out, touched the pedal, and the bike shot forward surprisingly and almost hurt me a bunch.

I put the lag back. I mean I almost always use the throttle to start up. That's the hard part:-)

Eric7

As other have said, before every start, use a bit of throttle half a second before you crank to compensate.  You can get used to it. No setting would make everyone happy.

Radding Along

An issue I have seen are the magnets on the crank arm of the older bikes are exposed to the elements. They get dirty, especially if someone lubes the chain excessively.

It's a good idea to inspect the magnet ring from time to time to be sure it's clean and not damaged. Take a few moments to wipe it down with rubbing alcohol. And check to see if there are any magnets that may have fallen out. Even one missing magnet can cause a lag on startup. It won't be as noticeable once you are pedaling, but starting out it is very noticeable.

If your magnet ring is missing magnets, the ring is easy to replace and I believe they are around $15 from Rad.