Author Topic: New RR+ brake adjustment/coasting resistance  (Read 2782 times)

XplsvAmnesia

• View Profile
New RR+ brake adjustment/coasting resistance
« on: September 28, 2021, 10:05:26 AM »
Just got my RR+ yesterday, built it myself. I rode into work today and even on a downhill with pedaling I couldnt break 25mph. This is my first E-bike I wasn't sure if the motor creates drag, or my other thought being that maybe the brakes are maintaining light contact with the rotors. Thoughts?

Sirch

• View Profile
Re: New RR+ brake adjustment/coasting resistance
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 08:14:05 AM »
Just got my RR+ yesterday, built it myself. I rode into work today and even on a downhill with pedaling I couldnt break 25mph. This is my first E-bike I wasn't sure if the motor creates drag, or my other thought being that maybe the brakes are maintaining light contact with the rotors. Thoughts?

I can't find it now but I was reading a thread the other day (either here or on reddit) that was talking about the motor drag while going downhill to prevent the bike from going too fast. Sorry, can't find it but it sounds like what you are experiencing.

Edit: Found the reddit post - https://www.reddit.com/r/RadPowerBikes/comments/q6bc4v/radrunner_drag_on_downhills/

« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 08:56:00 AM by Sirch »

XplsvAmnesia

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2021, 02:04:40 PM »
Thanks, comically that reddit post is from me haha. The consensus does seem like the motor is causing drag at around 25mph

Sirch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2021, 03:27:35 PM »
Thanks, comically that reddit post is from me haha. The consensus does seem like the motor is causing drag at around 25mph

Hah, /facepalm!

Seems kind of silly for the motor to actively prevent a rider from going "too fast".

RadFunner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 03:38:28 PM »
I'm here to tell you I've had my RR+ up to 31 MPH going downhill, pedaling my legs off. I doubt if I could get it to go any faster without adding another gear or to. And NO, I have not changed the settings on my display. just sayin it is possible.
RadRunner Plus

Ray.Marx.67@gmail.com

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2021, 07:04:54 PM »

On flat land without any mods, I have only been able to get to 23 but, going downhill, I have been up to 38mph while coasting, no braking, depends on the hill and grade. And I haven't checked yet to see what, if any, discrepancies the controller shows, with the speedo. That's using both the pedals and the throttle until it goes faster than I can pedal or throttle works. This is with default setup and changing to 40km/h in settings, only.  There's a lot of long 6-10% grades around here.

Radding Along

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2022, 08:07:28 PM »
It’s a class two bike. That means it’s governed to 20mph by the Federal Government. When your bike reaches 21 or 22mph, pedal assist and throttle are abruptly cut off. So you can continue to pedal hard to achieve 30mph, but you won’t get any assistance from the motor.

And to answer your question about drag on the motor after reaching 20mph, that is not the case. What you are feeling is a 60 or 70lb bike losing it’s helper motor.

Sounds like your bike is operating properly according to the governent’s eyes.

FortunatelyTheMilk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2022, 03:52:32 AM »
It's not a limit, that's just about as fast as a 48V battery can spin that motor. After that, it depends on the steepness of the slope, and the strength of the tail wind ;)

Radding Along

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2022, 06:54:23 PM »
I’m not sure if you were joking, but if not, your comment is not true. Class 2 bikes are governed and aftermarket companies are getting a lot more power out of bikes with just a controller/display swap using the existing battery. 48 volt batteries have a lot more potential.

madbroulton

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2022, 01:14:43 PM »
I bought a used 200miles on the odo (year old) RR+ and followed the *procedure to unlock from 32 kph to 40 kph, however the bike will still not go over 32. (20 mph). I bought a new RR+ last week and it goes 25mph no problem! Any ideas?

*holding the up and down arrows and going into the hidden menu.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2022, 01:14:43 PM »