Author Topic: Chain Care  (Read 375 times)

pqmarty

• View Profile
Chain Care
« on: September 27, 2021, 07:43:33 AM »
Keep your chain and derailer in good shape. Get  " The Grunge Brush"  online. Its shaped to clean chain and parts.  From a bike shop get a de-greaser and chain lube.  Keeping the chain clean will help shifting stay smooth and chain/derailer last longer.

Veggyhed

• View Profile
Re: Chain Care
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 04:44:16 AM »
What degreaser and chain lube do you use?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

jbfoster

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 06:30:12 PM »
How often you guys lube your chain?

Jim

Ddaybc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 10:51:59 AM »
How often you guys lube your chain?

Jim

I lightly clean and lube my chain every time I ride in slushy snow and/or rain. I also, every spring, take off my chain and totally clean and lube my chain and sprockets.
I use a rag to wipe the chain off and an old toothbrush to scrub my chain. I use whatever lube is available from the bikeshop. I don't remember what it's called but the current lube I have is designed specifically for use in wet weather.

Veggyhed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2022, 07:30:09 AM »
I'll be honest I'm pretty bad about this. I only use dry lube currently that is Muc Off's dry lube. It's not too wet here which is why I use it. Most of the year I applied but once every three or four weeks. When it's raining it's every couple of days I put it on. I don't suggest people follow my chain maintenance.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Eric7

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2022, 05:08:45 PM »
I keep my chain shiny by wiping off with a towel.  Then WD-40 as a rinsing agent, spray a lot and wipe it all off.  Let it dry.  Put whatever motor oil on it.  Do it every 200 miles.  Keep the chain in good shiny shape.  Don't overthink it.

I am not a fan of overpriced devices and lubricants. Some people think Phil Wood oil is just chain saw lube. It is an ebike and it is big and heavy and not efficient (think rack, fenders, thick seat, lights, fat tire, controller, battery, etc.).  After all that, don't worry if your chain is not as efficient as it should be.  All of that is compensated by the motor.  Why overspend on chain lube which is overpriced. Save your money for another battery.

Also, ebikes with hub motors put much less demand on the chain.  Your chain should last a lot longer.  If you wear out a chain, you should celebrate with a new chain. 

Many years ago, I commuted for 3 years on one chain and the bike was left out 24 hours a day.  I just oiled it.  That's it.  Never cleaned it.  But maybe you are all stronger than me.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum