News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

New mini st2 owner

Started by Mark Messer, August 21, 2021, 04:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Mark Messer

Hi y'all,
I've had my new rad mini step thru for a few weeks and made a few modifications.  I should say I love my new rad and very happy with my purchase and the quality overall.
This old man butt needed a softer seat, added a back rack and front basket,  also a mirror. Changed the tires to the mongoose 20x4 tires for the Oregon soft sand.  Ya may not really be mongoose but I  really like the tires for the first few rides. 
  Looking forward to beach rides or just running to the store!😁

JimInPT

Wow, that tire swap really turned your Mini into a tuff-looking little bike.  I love my MiniST and have also modded it a bit (but not the tires).

Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

Albert George

Jim,   how do you have the water bottles brackets attached? Are there screws for the brackets on the side of the front stem?

If not how do you have them atrached?

Thanks

Widgets

There are a few manufacturers for a double bottle cage adapter that bolts to the front basket mount. They fit between the basket and the bike if you have both.

https://amzn.to/2WnV5Af

I chose this one for the multiple mount positions and the ability to mount on a tilt.

From what I can tell, this was the original.

https://mri-denver.com/shop/ols/products/front-bottle-holder-mounting-bracket

Here is a cheaper clone.

https://amzn.to/3kofQDK

I picked this one for the multiple mount positions and the option to tilt.

https://www.gzila.com/products/rad-power-bike-water-bottle-holder?variant=32881325965392&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_campaign=gs-2020-07-24&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjo2JBhCRARIsAFG667XDYRUUrh7gh_JD-e0EYtj3Ya_dZYWZ2dgF6pLahuNGpEomBfzcpHcaAkZDEALw_wcB

JimInPT

Quote from: Albert George on August 23, 2021, 06:58:22 PM
Jim,   how do you have the water bottles brackets attached? Are there screws for the brackets on the side of the front stem?

If not how do you have them atrached?

Thanks

This is the bracket I used; not cheap but extremely well-made and sturdy:  https://amzn.to/3ki5Tb7
Here's the bottle holders for it:  https://amzn.to/3sMux7E

Also see Widgets post above for more ideas.

Cheers!

RadJohn

Just to clarify for those with Minis, aftermarket front mount, dual water bottle mounting adapters with multiple/tilting bottle cage mounting positions are unnecessary. Single position adapters like the  MRI-Denver and the cheaper ones listed above will easily allow use of the tallest 24 oz Polar insulated bottles with no interference with anything (this may also apply to the other "high steering riser" Rad models,  but I'm not sure). I use Topeak adjustable bottle cages to accommodate a wide range of bottle diameters as well.

On the other hand, a Rad City or Rover, depending on the cage(s) used, needs to have the bottle cages tilted back at the top with all but the shortest kids bottles, or the bottles will hit the handlebar or display mount (not good when trying to steer).

sc0pecr33p

Jim,

What do you have your cables wrapped up with? I don't want to use tape so was wondering your solution.

JimInPT

Quote from: sc0pecr33p on August 24, 2021, 01:22:42 PM
Jim,

What do you have your cables wrapped up with? I don't want to use tape so was wondering your solution.

It's just standard spiral cable wrap from any electronics supply or the river place: https://amzn.to/3bhyLvK

MplsBri

"Changed the tires to the mongoose 20x4 tires for the Oregon soft sand.  Ya may not really be mongoose but I  really like the tires for the first few rides." 

I just ordered a Radmini 4, will need to change the stock 20x3 tires for something with better snow grip for riding this winter in MN. Can you let me know where you got the Mongoose tires? Did you have to swap the tubes as well? I'm guessing it'll need that. The Rad bike store is out of the Kenda rubber which would fit for sure.
Update: ordered a couple of CST Big Fat Tires for the winter. Looks like they'll do the trick. CST Big Boats will be best for summer I figure.

Thanks
Brian

Windward

I am planning to purchase a chain lock for my new mini step-thru 2. What part of the bike is best for looping a lock through? The rear is possible but an easy frame cut for a bike thief. Has anyone regularly passed their lock through at the base of the battery where there is a loop of thicker metal?

Eric7

Congratulations on the new bike.  I got one too.

I use a cable lock and padlock.  The cable is to prevent people from lifting the whole bike and putting it in a truck.  I lock the helmet with a cable too. I am just trying to frustrate opportunistic thieves and people who don't think clearly. Once somebody has your bike, a power tool will break any lock.  Also, after breaking the lock, the power tool can be returned to the store for a refund.  So anyone who is somewhat resourceful and has no morals has access to lock breaking device.

I stay away from high risk areas.

I park near the front door of the business so everyone can see and never leave the bike more than 15 minutes for a "to go" cup of coffee and a bathroom break.

I keep the battery on the bike.  I take the phone.  It is all a risk, of course.  But I think it is too much trouble to carry the battery with me everywhere.  And then if you are concerned the seat, the iPhone mount, can be stolen too. It is so much trouble to carry a battery, pump, repair kit, helmet with you just to go to the bathroom or to buy some liquid. And then there is the quick-release front wheel. which can be removed in 15 seconds.  If I am that concerned, I just drive.  I just don't see the ebike as a viable commuting tool or a tool for running errands.

The downside of any security system is that it is heavy and it is with you 100% of the time.  If you carry it you need to strap it down or else it just bangs on each other or the rack and destroys it.  Most of the time I carry nothing but the phone and the tubes are slimed. Sometimes I carry a cable and padlock for bathroom break. I plan on calling Uber or a taxi if there are problems.  When I used to commute on a regular bike, I kept the lock at work locked to the bike stand.  That way, I don't have to carry it. Just sharing another way to live.

JimInPT

Quote from: Eric7 on December 14, 2021, 11:51:03 AM
The downside of any security system is that it is heavy and it is with you 100% of the time.  If you carry it you need to strap it down or else it just bangs on each other or the rack and destroys it.

My second post in this thread, above, shows how I mounted an ABUS long-shackle U-lock and heavy cable to the side of my small basket, in case somebody might find this useful.  The included ABUS lock mount works extremely well in that location (which is good, because it's the only location that works on the Mini ST frame); sturdy, doesn't rattle and it's always out of the way, yet accessible.  I almost never use the cable, but it's there if the situation calls for it.  The bungee net also helps hold the cable tightly in place.

Eric7

Nice tip on where to put the lock.  I had not noticed it.  Great idea.  Thanks.

JimInPT

Quote from: Eric7 on December 17, 2021, 12:16:35 PM
Nice tip on where to put the lock.  I had not noticed it.  Great idea.  Thanks.

You're quite welcome.  Here's another closeup pic in case it's useful, an earlier shot with an earlier seat and before I rearranged a few things.