News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Most comfortable seat?

Started by Phatnomad, August 26, 2019, 03:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

sheldonhaley

Choosing a suitable saddle is the optimal solution to help cyclists not feel pain and feel comfortable during cycling, right. I believe the cloud 9 seat model will be the best choice for you. It gets you a comfortable seat while cycling and for a reasonable price.

Eric7

Quote from: spyder918 on October 21, 2020, 12:33:01 AM
I know what you mean.  Have you tried some padded biking shorts?

I agree.  The seat is only half the solution.  You need proper clothing, especially if, like most people and myself, you have gained weight as you got older.  Also, the ebike allows you to ride longer, ride faster (more bumpy), ride off road (bumpy) than a regular bike which is great but increased sitting time and bumps make comfort a bigger issue.

It is a different game. I've seldom ride 20 mph in a regular bike in my youth.

There is utility for padded shorts.  Many people buy them and use them.  That is why they are so available.

FL-GK

A lot of great post and recommendations, hard to be right or wrong as everyone built a little differently, that said it's nice to have so many options.

As far as comfort on an e-bike I am 100% convinced a seat suspension is needed. The bikes are typically heavier then what most are used to and we ride them longer distances (when I say "we" I define that as someone like me who has a gravel/hybrid for trails and the like and a Electra Townie for light cruising, also what I would say is a regular rider, not going to Tour De France this year but can get on it when needed).

So my choices are a seat from ISM https://ismseat.com/ (they make a variety of applications)

For suspension I am leaning toward the dropper suspension from PNW https://www.pnwcomponents.com/collections/shop-all-droppers/products/coast-suspension-dropper-post-external. I like this because on an e-bike being so heavy I want to adjust the seat real low when I'm on trails and nice and high while pedaling but when I'm riding I find I'm on or in mixed environments most of the time and it would be AWESOME to switch on the fly.

I don't think you could go wrong with the SunTour or some of the other similarly priced high end units, it more or less comes down to what type of dampining material (spring vs rubber) at that point and I still may go this route when I upgrade due to cost. I have some relatively inexpensive ones now until I decide.

Currently I ride a RAD City 5 HS, I have modified the tires to a gravel tire at 2.3 wide (best move you could make on tire weight alone, not to mention out of round and generally poor quality stock tires). Wife has same but step through, with front basket (of course).

Lastly I'll say if money were no object I would have multiple bikes for the situation. I have to compromise comfort vs performance vs cost vs use case and most everything else.

So far I'm happy with my mods and I saw a comment somewhere on this forum that bike parts are relatively inexpensive (all relative I know, I did say relatively but it can get crazy) so it's fun to buy and try a few things and learn along the way. For me it kind of comes down to making the whole journey fun so I agree with that attitude.

2sailors