News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Bike Lock

Started by bianson, June 18, 2019, 04:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

jbfoster

The only lock that will work is your butt. I've had my Rover 5 since September 2020 and I haven't used a lock. I have stopped at McDonalds a few times but I took my bike inside otherwise I just don't stop anywhere that would need me to lock it up. I've seen some YouTube videos of thieves stealing a bike and they are fast. I just can't bring myself to leave a $1,600 bike alone.

Jim

Tree

Quote from: jbfoster on January 12, 2022, 06:28:41 PM
The only lock that will work is your butt. I've had my Rover 5 since September 2020 and I haven't used a lock. I have stopped at McDonalds a few times but I took my bike inside otherwise I just don't stop anywhere that would need me to lock it up. I've seen some YouTube videos of thieves stealing a bike and they are fast. I just can't bring myself to leave a $1,600 bike alone.

Jim

that's not how this works, that's not how any of this works. I've seen videos of thieves stealing a car in seconds. I still lock my car.

a good lock may not always prevent a thief, but it will certainly deter most. Most bike thefts are thefts of opportunity, and that's what we're trying to avoid here - walking your bike through a grocery store if you want to pick up a few items isn't a realistic option.

jbfoster

Quote from: Tree on January 13, 2022, 06:23:37 AM

Jim

that's not how this works, that's not how any of this works. I've seen videos of thieves stealing a car in seconds. I still lock my car.

a good lock may not always prevent a thief, but it will certainly deter most. Most bike thefts are thefts of opportunity, and that's what we're trying to avoid here - walking your bike through a grocery store if you want to pick up a few items isn't a realistic option.

Actually you are comparing apples to oranges. We are not talking about cars. We are talking about bicycles. Yes a lock may stop the casual thief but if somebody wants that bike and is locked up they're going to get it. My approach by never leaving it unattended will work 100% of the time and my bike will never be stolen.

Veggyhed

Quote from: Tree on January 12, 2022, 10:28:38 AM
looking for recommendations for bike locks for the RadRover 6 Plus - being a fat tire bike, I'd need a lock that is big enough for the fat tires....

I'm in a fairly large city, so i'd need a decent lock, but I don't see my bike being locked up for more than a few hours at a time at most, plus the majority of bike theft here are thefts of opportunity.

thanks!
The longest lock I know of is a kryptonite LS which I own and it does not go through the wheels 100%.

Kryptonite New York LS Heavy Duty Bicycle U Lock Bike Lock https://amzn.to/3GxwcUH

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Tree

Quote from: jbfoster on January 13, 2022, 06:59:47 AM

Jim

Actually you are comparing apples to oranges. We are not talking about cars. We are talking about bicycles. Yes a lock may stop the casual thief but if somebody wants that bike and is locked up they're going to get it. My approach by never leaving it unattended will work 100% of the time and my bike will never be stolen.

We're actually talking about locks.

Like many others, I want to get full usage of my bike. I want to be able to make a quick run to the store, or maybe a bar or restaurant, or what have you. Having a lock allows for these things - not having a lock essentially makes them impossible.

I'm glad not having a lock works for you, but that isn't what's being discussed here.

sc00ter

I purchased a Pedego branded Foldy Lock. The holder works/mounts like a water bottle holder. It seems more than adequate for my security needs. Side note. Also lock your bike in your garage. Thieves love the privacy provided by garages once inside.

jbfoster

Quote from: Tree on January 13, 2022, 10:20:23 AM
Quote from: jbfoster on January 13, 2022, 06:59:47 AM

Jim

We're actually talking about locks.

Like many others, I want to get full usage of my bike. I want to be able to make a quick run to the store, or maybe a bar or restaurant, or what have you. Having a lock allows for these things - not having a lock essentially makes them impossible.

I'm glad not having a lock works for you, but that isn't what's being discussed here.

Yes we are talking about locks. All I am saying is if you 100% never want your bike stolen then never leave it unattended. This is the way it is. Nothing you can do. There is not a lock out there that will be 100% to stop a thief. If you do stop somewhere and lock your bike you do run the risk of getting it stolen. I'm sure there are area's of the country that are worse than others. It's up to each person if they a willing to take the risk.

A bicycle is stolen every 30 seconds in the United States. That's roughly two million bikes a year. To give you some perspective, less than one million motor vehicles are stolen each year in America. Only one percent of stolen bikes are recovered.

Jim

sc00ter

jbfoster, how do you do it? I go to a local arcade bar in my area. Lock my RadRunner on the corner, outta site bike rack with my Pedego Foldy Lock. Lock it, go inside the arcade bar, order a beer and play some pinball.

jbfoster

Quote from: sc00ter on January 14, 2022, 07:02:27 AM
jbfoster, how do you do it? I go to a local arcade bar in my area. Lock my RadRunner on the corner, outta site bike rack with my Pedego Foldy Lock. Lock it, go inside the arcade bar, order a beer and play some pinball.

There is times I would like to run to Walgreens or stop at Walmart on the way home from work but i am just scared someone will cut the lock and steal the bike. If I had a regular $300 bike I probably would chance it. It took me to long to get the money for my Rover that I will not chance it.

Jim

Tree

this. all of this. what's the fun of a bike if you're just going to be paranoid about it all the time?

jbfoster

Quote from: Tree on January 14, 2022, 08:16:33 AM

this. all of this. what's the fun of a bike if you're just going to be paranoid about it all the time?

I get plenty of use and fun on my bike. I ride to work now and then and go on weekend rides. I just don't stop any where I would need to lock it up. I don't see why the comments on my choice.

Jim

Ddaybc

Jbfoster, that's what I used to do with my first 10 speed. I had it for a couple of decades and never left it alone.
I also understand everyone else's point of view. With my current ebike I have a Kryptonite chain lock. I'm going to get a U lock too.
Actually a company, I think they are called Hip Lock, makes a U lock that is designed specifically to resist grinder attacks. Look them up. They make what appears to be a good quality lock, it is strong and it resists grinding attacks.

jbfoster

Quote from: Ddaybc on January 14, 2022, 08:42:46 AM
Jbfoster, that's what I used to do with my first 10 speed. I had it for a couple of decades and never left it alone.
I also understand everyone else's point of view. With my current ebike I have a Kryptonite chain lock. I'm going to get a U lock too.
Actually a company, I think they are called Hip Lock, makes a U lock that is designed specifically to resist grinder attacks. Look them up. They make what appears to be a good quality lock, it is strong and it resists grinding attacks.

I will check out that lock tonight. I get why some lock their bike and that is fine. I'm not saying don't do it. It's up to each person to make that decision. If I ever find a lock I feel comfortable with I may start locking up at the store.

Jim

JimInPT

Quote from: jbfoster on January 14, 2022, 07:52:53 AMThere is times I would like to run to Walgreens or stop at Walmart on the way home from work but i am just scared someone will cut the lock and steal the bike.

I think you need to move, man.  What did you do to be sentenced to live in a place that's so worrisome?
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

JimInPT

Quote from: Veggyhed on January 13, 2022, 07:25:48 AMThe longest lock I know of is a kryptonite LS which I own and it does not go through the wheels 100%.

I use this ABUS lock, which is a beast and has an inside-shackle length of about 11.5" - should clear the width of fat tire/wheel too, but measure to be sure.
https://amzn.to/3tuIF7K
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.