News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Bike Lock

Started by bianson, June 18, 2019, 04:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

jbfoster

Quote from: JimInPT on January 14, 2022, 01:57:56 PM
Quote from: jbfoster on January 14, 2022, 07:52:53 AMThere is times I would like to run to Walgreens or stop at Walmart on the way home from work but i am just scared someone will cut the lock and steal the bike.

I think you need to move, man.  What did you do to be sentenced to live in a place that's so worrisome?

Why is there such a big deal that I do not lock my bike up? From what I have heard it only takes a minute or so to cut through the best bike lock. I don't want my bike stolen so I don't lock it up. I don't call that being paranoid. I call it not taking a chance.

Jim

jbfoster

Quote from: JimInPT on January 14, 2022, 02:05:06 PM
Quote from: Veggyhed on January 13, 2022, 07:25:48 AMThe longest lock I know of is a kryptonite LS which I own and it does not go through the wheels 100%.

I use this ABUS lock, which is a beast and has an inside-shackle length of about 11.5" - should clear the width of fat tire/wheel too, but measure to be sure.
https://amzn.to/3tuIF7K

I found a couple reviews and from what they said it's a really good lock but a grinder will cut through it in about 40 seconds.

jbfoster

Quote from: Ddaybc on January 14, 2022, 08:42:46 AM
Jbfoster, that's what I used to do with my first 10 speed. I had it for a couple of decades and never left it alone.
I also understand everyone else's point of view. With my current ebike I have a Kryptonite chain lock. I'm going to get a U lock too.
Actually a company, I think they are called Hip Lock, makes a U lock that is designed specifically to resist grinder attacks. Look them up. They make what appears to be a good quality lock, it is strong and it resists grinding attacks.

I looked up Hiplok. They are coming out with the D1000. It's going to be expensive at $385. It's suppose to be hard to cut with a grinder. Over ten minutes. I can see myself using this lock. It looks small. Not sure if this would be big enough to lock up my rover. 

Jim

sc00ter

SKUNK lock. Coolest idea ever!

Anyways, I'm going to make you paranoid again. If you use a super lock and lock it to a not so super bike rack, the thief will pick the path of least resistance and cut the bike rack instead.

My area is on the lower end of the bicycle theft spectrum. I'm not in New York, L.A., or D.C., but my sister lived in D.C. for awhile. If I was to take my 'Runner to D.C. I would use both my Foldy Lock and my ABUS U-lock that I use on my motor scooter when going into sketchy areas. My scooter has a anti-theft ignition, and if it gets punched out/damaged its $600ish to replace the assembly. I feel that would only happen if stupid kids could push it away behind a building or into some bushes in order to hot wire it.

jbfoster

Quote from: sc00ter on January 15, 2022, 07:14:59 AM
SKUNK lock. Coolest idea ever!

Anyways, I'm going to make you paranoid again. If you use a super lock and lock it to a not so super bike rack, the thief will pick the path of least resistance and cut the bike rack instead.

My area is on the lower end of the bicycle theft spectrum. I'm not in New York, L.A., or D.C., but my sister lived in D.C. for awhile. If I was to take my 'Runner to D.C. I would use both my Foldy Lock and my ABUS U-lock that I use on my motor scooter when going into sketchy areas. My scooter has a anti-theft ignition, and if it gets punched out/damaged its $600ish to replace the assembly. I feel that would only happen if stupid kids could push it away behind a building or into some bushes in order to hot wire it.

Well crap, I didn't think of that. I guess I could use two locks but dam that would be $700 for the two locks.

Jim

JimInPT

Quote from: jbfoster on January 15, 2022, 10:35:01 AMWell crap, I didn't think of that. I guess I could use two locks but dam that would be $700 for the two locks.

Put one of these on your bike; they work amazingly well for the price and are loud/annoying as hell if triggered. 

https://amzn.to/3HZNQ3E

Mine's ziptied underneath the MiniST's rack, which is under the basket, so it's invisible unless you go looking for it.  Learn to use and enjoy the bike you've paid all that money to have and try to relax. 
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

jbfoster

I have the Juiced bike horn that also has the alarm.

jbfoster

I do have the Abus 1010 city chain lock. I bought it to lock my bike in the garage. Its Gold rated. I imagine it would be easy to cut this lock with a grinder. Anyone have any experience with this lock?

I bought it last year for $109. I looked and now its $142. Shit everything is going up.

Jim

Tree

and if you're truly paranoid about your bike getting stolen, that's what insurance is for. I drop 2K on something, I'm going to insure it!

but that's a different thread.

jbfoster

Quote from: Tree on January 15, 2022, 01:47:44 PM
and if you're truly paranoid about your bike getting stolen, that's what insurance is for. I drop 2K on something, I'm going to insure it!

but that's a different thread.

If you don't have something nice to say then don't say anything.

Veggyhed

Quote from: jbfoster on January 14, 2022, 06:43:26 PM
Quote from: JimInPT on January 14, 2022, 02:05:06 PM
Quote from: Veggyhed on January 13, 2022, 07:25:48 AMThe longest lock I know of is a kryptonite LS which I own and it does not go through the wheels 100%.

I use this ABUS lock, which is a beast and has an inside-shackle length of about 11.5" - should clear the width of fat tire/wheel too, but measure to be sure.
https://amzn.to/3tuIF7K

I found a couple reviews and from what they said it's a really good lock but a grinder will cut through it in about 40 seconds.
I watched a couple of videos and it's about 3 minutes. There has to be two cuts made in order to free the lock.
Please I need to cut my Abus Lock.
99% of locks do not work well against grinders. But it does buy you time.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Veggyhed

Quote from: jbfoster on January 15, 2022, 12:00:27 PM
I do have the Abus 1010 city chain lock. I bought it to lock my bike in the garage. Its Gold rated. I imagine it would be easy to cut this lock with a grinder. Anyone have any experience with this lock?

I bought it last year for $109. I looked and now its $142. Shit everything is going up.

Jim
When your bike is locked with this chain and the garage do you have the chain anchored to the floor or wall?

Veggyhed

Quote from: JimInPT on January 15, 2022, 11:16:51 AM
Quote from: jbfoster on January 15, 2022, 10:35:01 AMWell crap, I didn't think of that. I guess I could use two locks but dam that would be $700 for the two locks.

Put one of these on your bike; they work amazingly well for the price and are loud/annoying as hell if triggered. 

Mine's ziptied underneath the MiniST's rack, which is under the basket, so it's invisible unless you go looking for it.  Learn to use and enjoy the bike you've paid all that money to have and try to relax.
I have seen many reviews of alarms like this and I'm seriously thinking about installing one underneath my rack on my runner plus. My panniers would keep it out of sight.
I would seriously love an alarm  that would alert you on your phone and or watch when somebody tampers with it. Have not found the solution yet.

Tree

Quote from: Veggyhed on January 20, 2022, 05:08:31 AM
Quote from: JimInPT on January 15, 2022, 11:16:51 AM

I have seen many reviews of alarms like this and I'm seriously thinking about installing one underneath my rack on my runner plus. My panniers would keep it out of sight.
I would seriously love an alarm  that would alert you on your phone and or watch when somebody tampers with it. Have not found the solution yet.

man, that's the thing.

imagine an alarm with a loud sound that also notifies your phone AND has a tracking device.

CoolLion

Just bought a RAd Rover 6. I scooped up a foldy lock. It's foldable and similar to the kryptonite locks. It fits through the wheel and attaches to a bike rack and wheel.

All of the suggestions on this thread are excellent. I believe in the theory of two. I carry a cable lock with a a lock that takes a longtime to chop. You can add a second lock if you like. I included a  pic. Scooped mine up for $84 vs $179 for the kryptonite