News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

2nd battery usage question

Started by mbates50, January 30, 2022, 02:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

mbates50

I purchased a 2nd battery just to have one. Storing inside at 75% charged, per long term storage recommendations.

Question is, should I use it occasionally then store back at 75%?

Thanks for any advice.

Si1Dia

I rotate my two batteries so I get an even amount of use from both.

santacruzpaul

Quote from: mbates50 on January 30, 2022, 02:46:58 PM
I purchased a 2nd battery just to have one. Storing inside at 75% charged, per long term storage recommendations.

Question is, should I use it occasionally then store back at 75%?

Thanks for any advice.

Best to rotate batteries.

DickB

Eric7

Reason 1.  The battery's street value had decreased as soon as you bought it.  If someone is willing to pay full price, they will buy it from Rad.  Keeping a battery in mint condition will not save any money or increase resell value beyond what you paid for it.  Do you want to buy a mint condition 2-year-old battery from me (just kidding, I don't have such)?

If you wanted a mint battery in 2024, the best place to "store" your battery is with Rad.  Buy a mint battery in 2024 or just when they stop making them. Rad just came out with a bike that uses the older battery.  So Rad will likely sell the older battery and the newer battery for another 3-5 years - just a guess.  Guessing that there will be no shortage.  Even if there is a shortage, there are workarounds.  Plug compatible adapters are sold to use alternative batteries.  If the prices get too high, people will just use an adapter and rig their own batteries. 

And in 3-5 years, maybe there will be another battery upgrade and you still have the old model that would fit only older machines.  Rad went from old non-integrated batteries to new-nonintegrated batteries to semi-integrated batteries in 5 years. 

Therefore, there is no point in keeping it mint or close to mint.

Reason 2.  There is a one-year warranty?  That is my guess.  This is a big one.  If you don't use it, how would you know the battery works?  Electronics have a high chance of dying in early use - defects in the assembly will come out after a few initial uses.  If it dies next year, you have no warranty.

Reason 3.  The whole system is decreasing in value.  My bike and your bike.  You might as well use it.  My feeling is that the bike and the batteries don't last forever - maybe 5 years?  I mean it is a lot of money and we all think it will last but we need to be realistic too.  Neither the battery nor the bike will become a classic. Does anyone want a Rad from 2017?  I mean if you had one - that is great.  But nobody goes around saying, "I wish I got a 2017 Rad with a made in 2017 battery, they just don't make them like they used to." 5 years from now, there will be amazing 2027 bikes and 2027 batteries.

Reason 4.  If you upgrade later to a 52 V system or a controller that will draw more current than the battery allows.  You battery will also be useless.  So might as well enjoy it now.  If you are keeping a 48v system, a higher current draw can be realized by connecting the batteries in parallel.

Reason 5.  If you ever want to parallel your batteries, by balancing the battery use, the two batteries will be more compatible.

Therefore, you might as well use it.  Carry it with you on long rides so you can double your range or not have range anxiety.  Have fun while the battery and bike are new.  See places you can't see with the range of just one battery.

I suppose if battery prices goes through the roof, and someone is willing to trust you and pay a good price for a second hand mint batteries, my advice would be no good.  You have to figure out how likely that would happen.

jannie

You are right. I am try it first time. Noe lets see how it turns out