News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Riding Rad in the snow!

Started by Altema, December 01, 2020, 09:33:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Altema

We had a few inches of snow last night, so after I cleaned the cars and shoveled the walk, I got curious about riding my Rad in the snow. Granted, I used to ride bikes in the snow when I was a kid, and I was pretty good at it, but I've never done it on an e-bike.

Preferring to be cautious, I wore my gloves and helmet, and put my seat down so I could put both feet on the ground.
Plus, with the seat lower, I don't have as far to fall!  ;)
The snow was on top of hard slush mixed with ice, but no polished ice or black ice. I took it easy, dragging a foot on the sidewalk as I tested the throttle and brakes to see how much traction I had. I was pleasantly surprised. I pulled both feet up and went faster on the sidewalk for a few hundred feet, then turned around and came back on the road, hitting about 17mph with confidence. The RadMini, with the stock tires, did exceptionally well with lots of traction. I'd be comfortable going for a longer ride in weather like this, and would even take it to a state park if I had the time today.

Has anyone else ridden Rad in the snow? If so, how did it go?

Had fun a few weeks ago in 6 inches of snow. Here's a link to the thread.

https://www.radowners.com/index.php/topic,560.0.html

Ryan

We have studded tires for our RadWagon. Works great on ice and hard-packed snow. The fluffy deep stuff is more of a challenge. Check out Bar Mitts - they really are a game changer (my hands get cold easily).

Altema

Quote from: Ryan on December 03, 2020, 09:13:13 AM
We have studded tires for our RadWagon. Works great on ice and hard-packed snow. The fluffy deep stuff is more of a challenge. Check out Bar Mitts - they really are a game changer (my hands get cold easily).
Do they make studded tires for the RadMini 4? My hands get cold easily as well, so I have electric gloves with 5 heat levels, and open face helmet with a full shield. I have an electric vest on order as well, so I'll be electric all over!

theck99

Rode 17 miles to work on limestone trails last November on my Rad Rover.  Couple of inches was too much for the stock Kenda tires.  Didn't feel comfortable at all on my stock setup. I did it just to say I rode to work in the snow. I don't plan on doing it again. Also, the upright position of the brake cable as it enters the brake caliper is problematic as the cable filled with water/limestone. Had to replace the cable.

Ryan

Quote from: Altema on December 04, 2020, 05:44:19 PM
Quote from: Ryan on December 03, 2020, 09:13:13 AM
Do they make studded tires for the RadMini 4? My hands get cold easily as well, so I have electric gloves with 5 heat levels, and open face helmet with a full shield. I have an electric vest on order as well, so I'll be electric all over!

Late reply but I haven't seen 20 inch studded tires yet. Guess those who want to ride in winter with studded tires should stick to the Rover and City.

Veggyhed

There are ways to make studded tires that I saw a long time ago. It required a tuffy  liner according short screws through your tire. I have never tried this though.
I went looking for 20-in studded tires are never found any. In fact most instead of tires were completely sold out for all sizes of wheels.
There was an article about new heaters that go inside your handlebars but I couldn't seem to find that article now. Each channel bar was rechargeable at the end

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Altema

Quote from: Veggyhed on February 10, 2021, 05:57:32 AM
There are ways to make studded tires that I saw a long time ago. It required a tuffy  liner according short screws through your tire. I have never tried this though.
I went looking for 20-in studded tires are never found any. In fact most instead of tires were completely sold out for all sizes of wheels.
There was an article about new heaters that go inside your handlebars but I couldn't seem to find that article now. Each channel bar was rechargeable at the end

I thought about doing that with screws, but it seems like our area is a patchwork of clear pavement and snow. The trail I use a lot is un-maintained, the state park I ride in keeps the bike path completely clear. I wonder if anyone makes removable grips like they do for cars...

For warmth, I'm pretty much all set now 😁 

rad-rocket-5

I registered to share my experience on studded tires for the Rad Rover 5.

I recently installed studded tires for my Rad Rover 5. I went with: 45NRTH Dillinger 4 – 26 x 4.0 Studded Tire - 120tpi.
https://45nrth.com/products/dillinger-4

It is a Canadian winter here, currently -30c, snowy and icy roads.

I highly recommend these tires for winter. The bike went from stock tires, which are scary and dangerous on snow/ice,  to fully confident and flying on snow/ice now with the studded tires.

There are other wider tire models out there, but the 4" studded is plenty wide, it is a perfect fit, and anything else bigger will probably rub on the fender or frame.

I was going to have a bike shop put the tires on for me, but they said they were too busy. I searched Youtube and found it is super easy to change a fat bike tire. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqWhidK5BCU

You will need to have a bike tire change lever tool, and a tire pump to change your own tires.
Example: https://www.bicycling.com/repair/a33249097/how-to-use-a-tire-lever/

Posting this in case it helps somebody else

Veggyhed

How does your battery do at -30C ?