News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Child Seat Woes

Started by msantiago1256, March 24, 2021, 06:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

msantiago1256

So i'm super excited to be getting my new Radwagon 4 this week and i've started the hunt for a child seat for my 3 year old. I'm honestly blown away by the limited information on this... especially from Rad themselves, do they have some marketing agreement with Thule?

In years past i could just pop my son on a simple Bell Cocoon and do a little light riding down a rail-trail or around the neighborhood. Now it seems I can only get a $250 seat to use for maybe a total of 8-12 months before he starts to outgrow it?

Anyone have any experience finding alternatives or modifying other brands to fit? I know i'm going to try the Bell seat i have and see what it would take to make it work with my new wagon.

I found a used Yepp Nexxt Maxi (whats up with their naming scheme?) but can't get any good information if it'll fit the Radwagon 4 specifically.

I Know this has come up before but those threads where archived and dead.... here's hoping someone is feeling the same way now.

totsubo

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I may have some input on the usability of the Yepp seat.

Around November of 2020, I bit the bullet and purchased two Yepp seats from Amazon. I mounted both on one RadWagon.

Now my kids are approaching 3 yrs old and one can sit on the pad and the other in the child seat. So, I removed one of the Yepp seats and installed it on my other RadWagon. Now we have two identically configured RadWagons.

I think the Yepp seat is not really necessary anymore. I tried riding with kids just inside the caboose (with pads installed) when they were 2.5 years of age. They were fine.

However, since I have the seats already, I plan to use the seats until the kids are around 5. One really prefers the seat, while the other doesn't.

Ingmar

Hi msantiago1256,
the RadWagon4 does support Thule Yepp EasyFit. If you take the deckpad off you will see the rectangular hole where you can attach any EasyFit seat.
I have the Yepp Junior EasyFit, you can also attach the Yepp Maxi EasyFit.
I didnt find any other seats besides the Yepp that would attach there.

Nomoreparkingtickets

I was wondering if you NEED to use the caboose along with the child seat or if you could do without.

Ryan

Quote from: Nomoreparkingtickets on June 11, 2021, 09:03:53 PM
I was wondering if you NEED to use the caboose along with the child seat or if you could do without.

Our son is 19 months and until now we didn't have a caboose. I think it's fine without but it will be nice once he grows out of the seat. Then he was bars to hang on to and it also adds protection. They aren't cheap and I've seen a few people make one out of PVC or other materials.

Barbara Seymour

I know that the original question was from quite a while ago, but in case helpful to others searching for this info I have a few additions.

Adding the Yepp seat works, but makes it nearly impossible to put any cargo bags on the back (I wish I had paid more attention to this). My child is almost 5 and still uses the seat - but we go up and down some various serious hills and when we first moved to where we are now she was used to being in the seat so didn't want to get out. I'm just waiting until she says doesn't want to use it. I used the caboose because it gives her something to hold on to when we go over really big pot holes that even send me out of the seat. In addition, when we ride in the city it forces cars to give clearance.

Ryan

Quote from: Barbara Seymour on June 16, 2021, 04:12:05 AM
I know that the original question was from quite a while ago, but in case helpful to others searching for this info I have a few additions.

Adding the Yepp seat works, but makes it nearly impossible to put any cargo bags on the back (I wish I had paid more attention to this). My child is almost 5 and still uses the seat - but we go up and down some various serious hills and when we first moved to where we are now she was used to being in the seat so didn't want to get out. I'm just waiting until she says doesn't want to use it. I used the caboose because it gives her something to hold on to when we go over really big pot holes that even send me out of the seat. In addition, when we ride in the city it forces cars to give clearance.

We use our Roswheel panniers all of the time with both our Yepp seat and the caboose. Works great: https://amzn.to/2VfTKdS

They aren't too long but still provide a ton of space.

wagon4owner

Quote from: Ryan on July 06, 2021, 04:00:23 PM

We use our Roswheel panniers all of the time with both our Yepp seat and the caboose. Works great: https://amzn.to/2VfTKdS

Hi Ryan,
Thanks for the pointer. Do you put the panniers in front of the Yepp maxi or the other way round? Would really appreciate if you could post a pic of the setup.
I am considering ordering these.

Ryan

Quote from: wagon4owner on July 12, 2021, 10:19:30 AM
Quote from: Ryan on July 06, 2021, 04:00:23 PM

Hi Ryan,
Thanks for the pointer. Do you put the panniers in front of the Yepp maxi or the other way round? Would really appreciate if you could post a pic of the setup.
I am considering ordering these.

Here is a link to a photo on Instagram. Having them in front of the child has been our preference at least so far but either would work I think: https://www.instagram.com/p/CRDE2TOL4Lv/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Mostviertel50

Hello from Austria,

we have mounted the Britax Römer Child Seat, but without the Quick Release Kit, direkt with stainless steel screws, works fine ;-)

Lou

Hi!
I've read the exchanges here with interest. My question seems to be just slightly off-topic, so I created another one here a few days ago: https://www.radowners.com/index.php?topic=1264.0
I wonder if any of you would be using the Radwagon with two child seats and would have managed to add bags (or anything similar) to the the back rack at the same time?
I'm still hesitating to buy the Radwagon, and I know other (more expensive) brands/models of "long tail" bikes are designed to be used with such a configuration... but I'm wondering if it's at all feasible with the Radwagon 4?

Thanks in advance if you have any experience or feedback on that! :)

Foxy

Did you choose a seat?   I really want something a little more protective than the smaller seats and probably over thinking all the choices.

ericwn

Quote from: Foxy on May 04, 2022, 01:07:36 AM
Did you choose a seat?   I really want something a little more protective than the smaller seats and probably over thinking all the choices.
The Yepp seats are a really good choice in my opinion and the easyfit system makes them quick to install and to remove when needed.