Author Topic: Getting more life out of a lithium ion bike battery  (Read 13307 times)

how

• View Profile
Getting more life out of a lithium ion bike battery
« on: December 06, 2020, 09:23:53 PM »

I've been reading recently about lithium ion bike batteries having a shorter lifespan when they are being fully recharged every time we ride them. They are recommending not charging them above 80% and just topping them up to 100% just before taking the bike out. Presumably this is to limit the time that the battery is 100% charged.
This is not about battery balancing or longer term storage because those are different issues but its about our daily usage. Claims are being made of potentially doubling the battery lifespan by doing this. If any of this is true, considering the cost of replacement batteries,

This completely contradicts Rad Rover's instructions for 100% bike charging after every ride.

It seems like it would be a pain in the ass to try to manually limit recharging ones battery to 80% or less.
Has anybody here used a battery satiator for limiting the battery charging to 80%? and if so, which brand or type do you use? The ones I've looked at did not have the lead ends that are compatible with the Rad battery.

wkindred

• View Profile
Re: Getting more life out of a lithium ion bike battery
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 07:08:40 AM »
i've been using this $100 advanced 300w charger for the last 6 months with my radrunner 1. charger has adjustable amp charge rates (1 to 5 amps) and 80% / 90% / 100% adjustable charge limit  -

https://lunacycle.com/luna-charger-48v-advanced-300w-ebike-charger/

you'll need to add your own xt60 to 5.5mm barrel style charge connector.

the charger seems to work quite well - would recommend!

« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 07:29:05 AM by wkindred »

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 09:22:52 AM »
That's a really nice charger, and now I know what I want for my next present. I'll take two!
I go by voltage (80% is 51.5 volts) since I still have the stock chargers, but I usually just plug in in the morning if I need the range. Dual batteries means I can go 60 to 90 miles on a charge, so I don't need to top up every time, but it would be nice to have the charge automated. Although it's not good to force the batteries to 100% all the time, I also don't like letting the batteries sit when they are almost empty.

wkindred

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 10:44:18 AM »
another good charger option (when in stock) -

https://www.eco-ebike.com/collections/chargers/products/48v-advanced-300w-eco-charger-1-to-5a-80-90-100

this charger also has the adjustable amp charge rates (1 to 5 amps) and 80% / 90% / 100% adjustable charge limit.

again, you'll need to add your own xt60 to 5.5mm barrel style charge connector.

(i use the 52v model of this charger to charge my juiced hyperscorpion - would recommend)...

« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 10:56:50 AM by wkindred »

how

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 07:03:01 PM »
@ wkindred
That Luna charger is exactly what I was looking for. Just so I can find the right adapter for my battery, is the terminal end of the Luna charger a XT60 male or female fitting.
Thanks again.

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2020, 08:09:04 PM »
@ wkindred
That Luna charger is exactly what I was looking for. Just so I can find the right adapter for my battery, is the terminal end of the Luna charger a XT60 male or female fitting.
Thanks again.

The XT60 connector on the charger shown on the Luna website is male.

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 08:14:56 PM »
By the way, I just bought the Luna charger myself. I might need to make two adapters myself since Luna is out of stock. The Rad battery has a 5.5mm barrel connector, and my second battery has an XLR connector.

wkindred

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2020, 06:39:49 AM »
@ wkindred
Thanks again.

the charger comes with an additional xt60 connector to allow you to make your own charge adapter...

wkindred

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2020, 06:53:02 AM »
@ wkindred
Thanks again.

The XT60 connector on the charger shown on the Luna website is male.

the charger has an xt60 female connector installed but comes with an additional male xt60 connector for fabricating your own charge adapter.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 06:57:24 AM by wkindred »

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2020, 08:52:14 AM »
the charger has an xt60 female connector installed but comes with an additional male xt60 connector for fabricating your own charge adapter.
Ah, thanks for the correction. The website shows the male connector, without explaining that it is the extra.

wkindred

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2020, 09:00:28 AM »
Ah, thanks for the correction. The website shows the male connector, without explaining that it is the extra.

you're welcome! wasn't sure myself so had to actually look at my charger.

wkindred

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2020, 09:17:31 AM »
@ wkindred
Thanks again.

the luna charger has an xt60 female connector installed but comes with an additional male xt60 connector for fabricating your own charge adapter.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 09:20:04 AM by wkindred »

how

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2020, 10:19:00 AM »
E bay ordered the female xt60 connected with 14 gu wire to a male 5.5 connector for $8.49 (Canadian & delivery included) about 10 minutes before I saw your last post....sigh.

It will be nice to finally just plug the battery into a Luna charger and have it automatically shut off at 80% full without me having to continually guesstimate approximate charging times after each ride..

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2020, 10:45:14 PM »
E bay ordered the female xt60 connected with 14 gu wire to a male 5.5 connector for $8.49 (Canadian & delivery included) about 10 minutes before I saw your last post....sigh.

It will be nice to finally just plug the battery into a Luna charger and have it automatically shut off at 80% full without me having to continually guesstimate approximate charging times after each ride..
They should allow for return in exchange for the right one. If not, let me know and I'll buy it from you. I have a dozen XT connectors in my drawer and can just solder the correct one on.

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2020, 10:51:01 AM »
My Luna charger arrived a couple days ago, but I just got around to making the adapter last night. The charger works very well, and since it stops charging automatically, I don't have to be overly concerned about when it finishes. I have two batteries, so I just made the adapter with an end to fit each one. I can only charge one battery at a time, which is a bit inconvenient, so I'll probably buy a second charger. It's not a big deal at the moment because rides in the winter are shorter, and I don't NEED 80 miles of range right now. I may just use the second battery, and save wear and tear on the more expensive Rad battery by leaving it at home. Photo of the adapter is below!

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2020, 10:51:01 AM »