News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

The Death of Molly Steinsapir

Started by JedidiahStolzfus, September 05, 2022, 03:30:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

JedidiahStolzfus

This isn't going to help Radpower: https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-08-05/e-bike-crash-death-daughter-manufacturer-to-blame-rad-power-bikes
I've read several articles about this now.  I do not see how this is RP's fault, but of course, they family wants to go after who has the money, and not who's actually at fault. 

The bike belonged to the 13yr old sister of the 11yr old that crashed.  Molly was riding on the back and got thrown as they rolled down hill at a high rate of speed.  The 11yr old claims the bike started to wobble as she tried to apply the brakes which didn't slow them down.  Molly was thrown and injured and died in the hospital several days later.
They family is claiming that RP is negligent because of a defective design and the fact that the manual only says that no one under 18 should ride the bike on page 49 of a 57 page manual. 

1st, obviously no one in the family that owned the bike read the manual, and if they did, they ignored it.  It wouldn't have mattered if it was on page 1, they bought the bike for their 13yr old daughter.
2nd, Molly and her parents obviously didn't read the manual before she went for the ride.
3rd, chances are the brakes needed adjustment if they failed to stop the bike.  I don't know about you guys, but it seems as though every week I have to adjust my rear brakes so they're not spongy.  I don't consider that a design defect, it's just the brakes wearing.
4th the lack of riding experience of the 11yr old contributed greatly to the crash.
This is a tragedy, but it isn't RP's fault.  Lots of other people made mistakes that allowed this to happen.

Tree

this has been discussed widely online.

it's tragic, but it's grieving parents who are also lawyers trying to deflect responsibility. they're also suing the helmet company.

Rad has its issues. this isn't one of them.

JedidiahStolzfus

Quote from: Tree on September 06, 2022, 05:25:01 AM
this has been discussed widely online.

it's tragic, but it's grieving parents who are also lawyers trying to deflect responsibility. they're also suing the helmet company.

Rad has its issues. this isn't one of them.

Well, the bike being at fault isn't one of them, but they're still going to end up probably losing this in court, or settling.  Regardless, it isn't going to help the company that appears to be faltering.

I like the company, I like their products, but they're failing their customers in different ways.  Their customer service is horrible and their shipping is deathly slow.  When they have so much competition out there, they need to focus on being better.