News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Rad alternative

Started by Muskie1, May 06, 2022, 12:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Muskie1

I agree, good bike for the price,  My point was not a bike for minimal support without a dealer by.

I only have a few hundred miles on mine,,  I bought a cheap bike, good reviews. 
Question is not a  about  the month it took to get customer support.

She can not buy a Rad, I just need a other option.

Eric7

It is a local problem.  We are all over the country or all over the world and we cannot help her unless we have local knowledge.  She has to ask her local bike shop for their opinion.  She needs to rely on the local bike shop for repairs and their willingness to service the bike would be the number one consideration.  In her case, she should buy a bike from the local bike shop.

There is really no point in discussing this on a Rad Owner discussion board.  It is a local issue.  The answer will be different depending on where she lives.

She might live next to a wonderful bike store that doesn't service Rad Bikes.  The bike store that services Rad Bikes may be 15 miles away.  In that case, buy whatever the next-door bike store sells. We/I really cannot help without knowing all the particulars.  It is the same with cars, if you are absolutely not going to maintain your car, I suggest buying from a near, convenient, and good dealer.

Or are you really asking Rad owners what we consider to be Rad's biggest competitor? I don't want to answer this question because you asked it in such a strange way.  If you want to ask that question, just ask.

Altema

Quote from: Eric7 on May 10, 2022, 12:10:31 PM
It is a local problem.  We are all over the country or all over the world and we cannot help her unless we have local knowledge.  She has to ask her local bike shop for their opinion.  She needs to rely on the local bike shop for repairs and their willingness to service the bike would be the number one consideration.  In her case, she should buy a bike from the local bike shop.
Agreed. Looking up a nearby bike shop that sells and supports e-bikes is the best bet, and go by their recommendations.

Tree

i've got a back store pretty much around the corner from me. it's a trek store, so they won't service my bike (speaking of which, did you really only go 6,000 miles in 30 years on your Trek??? that's like 200 miles a year.).

And then I've got another local store about 15 miles away, that built my Rad, and services them. they're not a rad dealer. they sell lots of brands of bikes - but they do work on Rads, and know them.

Granted, i'm in a fairly large city, so i have options. but 15 miles isn't so far to go if i need service i can't do.

Eric7

I calculated my car is costing me $1 a mile over its lifetime.  When I was younger I would drive across town to score a deal but I don't do it anymore.

You have to drive 15 miles to drop it off.  15 miles to come home.  And lift/attach some rack to the car to do it.  Then you have to do this all over again to pick up the bike.  So, in total, you drive 60 miles every time you get something fixed.  That is $60.  And you wasted all morning for 60 miles of driving, loading and unloading to get the bike there and loading and unloading to get the bike home.

Since you plan to ride a lot and will be getting the bike adjusted a lot and won't do it yourself, I suggest buy a Trek and be happy. Or ask the mechanic there if they would come to your place to make a quick adjustment for $100.  $60 for your fixed cost, $40 for the real fix. $100 may be attractive for some people.

There is something to be said about a bike store within walking distance.

Altema

A Trek will hold up nicely, and they look more like regular bikes. One thing to remember is to downshift before you get to hills or inclines, as the motor does not enough power to overcome too tall of a gear.