News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

RadMini ST2 - Replacing quick-release front axle with standard axle

Started by JimInPT, August 09, 2021, 03:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

JimInPT

(I hate to cross-post this, but I thought this forum section might be a better fit to attract the attention of bike gearheads)

Can anybody point me to a direct-replacement standard axle to replace the quick-release factory setup on my RadMini Step-Thru?  Twice now I've found mine had loosened up with use and the last thing I need is it possibly bouncing loose completely while riding.  IIRC, I've read that braking forces on the front fork assembly can contribute to this.  The quick-release feature isn't important to me, riding safety is.

Thanks!
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

JimL

If you have access to a small drill press, you can drill the round nut for safety wire.  That is a pretty common requirement for various forms of motorcycle racing.

The other option would be a metric nylock nut, in place of the right side nut.  That would probably require a small spacer that will fit properly in the right lower fork leg.

RadJohn

Quote from: JimL on August 11, 2021, 10:12:42 PM
If you have access to a small drill press, you can drill the round nut for safety wire.  That is a pretty common requirement for various forms of motorcycle racing.

The other option would be a metric nylock nut, in place of the right side nut.  That would probably require a small spacer that will fit properly in the right lower fork leg.

Both suggestions might help BUT:

Safety wire is generally intended to retain hardware to some extent, not absolutely prevent the kind of slight(?) loosening that the OP has apparently  experienced.

Rads, like most other bicycles sold today, have safety organization (CPSC in the US) mandated front wheel ejection prevention devices/features/"lawyer lips" on the dropouts of their front forks.

On Rads, they take the form of pockets machined into the outside dropouts (with an open slot on one side) that the skewer/axle nut flanges fit into. If you open your skewer handle and/or even loosen the nut on the other side a bit, you still CAN'T pull the front wheel off the fork because something will hang on the "lips"/edges of those recessed pockets. The thinking was that any reasonably attentive person (and maybe even some idiots) should be able to detect a wobbling/clunking to wildly flopping about front wheel before it actually ejected from the fork.

Back in the (<'70s) good old days, you could open the handle on your QR skewers, pull a wheel out and put it back in without having to mess with the adjustment nut on the off side because the the dropouts were machined dead flat (truly Quick Release [AND reinstall]). When the lips were added we had to start readjusting the off side "nuts" EVERY time we removed/reinstalled a wheel. A lot of cyclist screamed bloody murder, complained about becoming a nanny state, filed/ground off the protrusions (guilty here, but not for the last ~40 years) and maybe even joined the sovereign citizen movement. Saner heads appear to have prevailed as it became obvious that in addition to creating a bit of frustration, lawyer lips have actually performed as intended and prevented many injuries and probably even deaths (kind of like some of those other pesky CPSC/NHTSA inspired things like seat belts and helmets).

Also, Rads design (like most others) allows the front wheel to be removed/reinstalled without using a tool. Adding a locknut of some sort to the non-release handle side would probably require the use of a wrench to remove/reinstall the QR skewer as most 5mmm locknuts (only 8mm across the flats) would be hard to keep from rotating  with fingers alone while releasing/readjusting, which might be a real problem for some people. The same might apply to the safety wire approach (I for one don't want to carry my "Jet Twisters" around on my bike). Then again, requiring a tool for removal may deter/slow down a snatch  and grab thief.

@Ryan you might want to consider merging this thread with the other cross-posted one at: http://www.radowners.com/index.php?topic=1242.0