News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

RadMini ST2 - Replacing quick-release front axle with standard axle

Started by JimInPT, August 07, 2021, 10:28:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

JimInPT

Can anybody point me to a direct-replacement standard axle to replace the quick-release factory setup on my RadMini Step-Thru?  Twice now I've found mine had loosened up with use and the last thing I need is it possibly bouncing loose completely while riding.  IIRC, I've read that braking forces on the front fork assembly can contribute to this.  The quick-release feature isn't important to me, riding safety is.

Thanks!
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

Jman

RadJohn

The front skewers on RadMini 4 are bicycle industry standard sizes (but not necessarily for front wheels) so there are alternatives out there.

Recent (at least) RadMini front forks/wheels are:
  135mm Distance/Length Over Locknuts
  150-151mm Distance/Length Over Dropouts (replacement skewers are USUALLY advertised/speced by this number, but not always, watch out!)
  5mm Front Wheel Hub Axel skewer thru-hole size

So, the rear skewer from a set like this set SHOULD fit:
  https://amzn.to/3msGGgy

BUT note the bad reviews (some mentioning the same problem you are trying to address) and complaints about the advertised sizes not being correct here:
  https://amzn.to/3xZZXIF

If using any other skewers,  the OD of the "nut" flanges may have to be turned/filed down a bit as the pockets for them on the Rad front fork dropouts are a bit restrictive, but that shouldn't be a big deal if you're handy.

You might want to further investigate why your bike is behaving differently than many others. I've got 3700+ miles on my 2020 RM4 and have never encountered the problem. I probably hadn't even checked my front skewer for over 2000 miles, just did, so tight it hurt to release it. I beat the stuffin' out of my Mini, usually get airborne once a week or so (yeah, I know, the trajectory of a Mini when catching air is kinda like that of an Acme anvil in a Roadrunner cartoon, often more painful than fun, but sometimes just happens) .

Dumb question, is your front skewer handle positioned correctly, angled up, in front of the LEFT fork tube as shown in the attached picture? If it's on the RIGHT side, and/or wrapped over the fork tube (more or less horizontal), it might have more of a tendency to loosen.

Altema

Quote from: RadJohn on August 11, 2021, 09:31:25 AMis your front skewer handle positioned correctly, angled up, in front of the LEFT fork tube as shown in the attached picture? If it's on the RIGHT side, and/or wrapped over the fork tube (more or less horizontal), it might have more of a tendency to loosen.
That crossed my mind as well. I ride my RadMini on mountain bike trails and the front has never come loose, so perhaps his skewer is damaged, defective, or mis-oriented.   

RadJohn

Here's another option:
  http://hexlox.com/collections/hexlox-compatible-extras/products/hexlox-security-bike-skewer?variant=31999565430889

I have some of these installed on other bikes but none of them are here where I am right now, so I couldn't measure. I've been debating doing the Mini as I never let it out of my sight for more than 10 seconds in questionable areas, or 10 minutes in the safest of environs.

Hexlox is extremely prompt in responding to emails so you might want to ask them if their REAR skewer replacement will handle a 151mm Length Over Dropouts. Their parts have rather generous threaded portions on one end to cover a range of dropout spacings and thickness, so much so that I remember having to cut off a bit the free threaded end when doing at least one installation to allow the (Hex)locking end nut to seat fully against a dropout.

JimInPT

Quote from: RadJohn on August 11, 2021, 09:31:25 AM
Dumb question, is your front skewer handle positioned correctly, angled up, in front of the LEFT fork tube as shown in the attached picture? If it's on the RIGHT side, and/or wrapped over the fork tube (more or less horizontal), it might have more of a tendency to loosen.

Thank you very much for all the info above.  Yes, my skewer handle is angled up and on the left side as it should be.  It's been staying tight for several weeks now so might be ok for the long term, but I'd like the option of replacing it so I appreciate your information.

And there are too many negative reviews of the product you linked (appreciated you pointing that out), so I don't think that one would be a good choice.  I'll check with my local bike shop to see if they have a solution.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.