Author Topic: RadRover 6 Plus  (Read 4075 times)

bikemoto

• View Profile
RadRover 6 Plus
« on: August 04, 2021, 10:54:03 AM »
I have a RadRover 5. I did the Bolton upgrade on the controller, Bafang motor and hydraulic brake calipers. The controller comes with a 35A controller and upgraded color display. The motor, rated at 750w had more torque for hills.

Has anyone seen the new RadRover 6 Plus?  The $2000 bike seems to be configured with similar specs as the Bolton upgrades. The other difference is the integrated fitting battery.

twistydave

• View Profile
Re: RadRover 6 Plus
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 06:53:07 PM »
I got on on order.  Will post up what I can.

jimk1963

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2021, 06:01:30 PM »
I have a RadRover 5. I did the Bolton upgrade on the controller, Bafang motor and hydraulic brake calipers. The controller comes with a 35A controller and upgraded color display. The motor, rated at 750w had more torque for hills.

Has anyone seen the new RadRover 6 Plus?  The $2000 bike seems to be configured with similar specs as the Bolton upgrades. The other difference is the integrated fitting battery.

Picked up 2 RR 6+ Step-thru's today at the Imperial Beach store (San Diego). They had two assembled charcoal bikes on the showroom floor and more boxed units in the back. These are "sneak preview" bikes that for whatever reason, no one at RPB (sales or tech support) even knew were in the store. Frustrating lack of communication.

Anyway, posted a Day One thread, I was really disappointed in the power, especially up hills. And it appears they completely eliminated the ability to bump up the power using a hidden menu. So far, not impressed at all.

Mori55

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2021, 11:52:43 AM »
Now I’m worried since I ordered none and I’m bigger than you. Main reason is our bike path goes up some big bridges.
  Now what do I do ? Cancel my order ? Order a Aventon?

pqmarty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2021, 04:26:48 PM »
I believe the plus 6 manual notes the % grade limit is 15%.  I'm 70 and am making it up 15%-16%+ grade hills so I'm not sure what the power issue would be.  We also have last years rover step thru and the plus 6 is can climb grades at 1 pedal assist lower than last years rover.  I don't know about the throttle on hills as pedal assist is obviously more power than the throttle.  What grade hills you trying to climb. I can't climb the grades the $4,500 ebikes climb but that's ok by me.

chris1683

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2021, 07:24:01 AM »
Now I’m worried since I ordered none and I’m bigger than you. Main reason is our bike path goes up some big bridges.
  Now what do I do ? Cancel my order ? Order a Aventon?

FWIW, I am 6'2 and 295lbs and when I got my RR5 it worked decent on inclines but poorly on hills.  Seeing as how it was underpowered from the factory (confirmed to be a 350W Bafang motor) I upgraded the controller to the 35A version and also upgraded the motor to the 750W Bafang version.  It is the way this bike should have come from the factory in my opinion.  With the additional power, I have been seeing BETTER battery life because the motor is not working as hard.  There are no problems on hills and the bike can easily get to 25mph or even faster, even on inclines.

I would be very curious to see what motor is in the RR6+ motor casing.

RiderDan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2021, 04:22:27 AM »
Personally, I went specifically for a RadRover 5 because of the non-integrated battery and controller.  I like to tinker and being locked into a proprietary inside-the-frame battery was a no-go for me.  Down the road, when (not if) the battery dies, I can just swap it out with another non-rad custom pack mounted on the downtube, something you probably can't do with the new RadRover 6.  I've already found a 21700 case that will deliver 20AH.  A new controller will take care of the torque deficit.  That's just me though...

Tony

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2021, 05:30:45 AM »
Tell us about this new battery Dan

RiderDan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2021, 10:57:31 PM »
Tell us about this new battery Dan

Off topic for this thread, but I'll start a new one if people are interested.  It's the Reention Jumbo Shark DP-5C 21700 case (same case available from other brands as well).  Holds 52 21700 cells good for 48 volts in a 13s4p configuration.  If the Samsung 50E cells ever become available again, it'll work out to just shy of 20AH at 48V.  I've taken the schematics and made a cutout with the dimensions.  Seems to fit just right.  It's a little shorter than the stock case, but taller.  Clears all the tubes with what looks like enough room to slide the pack in and out of the mounting bracket.  I plan on getting the case as a test dummy first, and confirming the fit.  Then when the cells become available, buying a batch for the first pack.  Figure a 40amp smart BMS should work nicely.  If all goes okay, I may start buying cells and cases in bulk to build for sale with an adapter for the stock Rad connectors charger.  Just need to upgrade my cell testing setup to handle the volume.  :P

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2021, 10:57:31 PM »