News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

extended Radrunner fender 3"

Started by handlebar, April 24, 2022, 02:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Radio Runner

I should put a review up with my picture now that you mention it. I bought them at a shop so it never occurred to me.

I thought they looked like trouble (and was right) I'm willing to venture that SKS won't be making them long term. It's just to easy.

handlebar

Quote from: Kari on April 30, 2022, 08:44:16 AM
I made one from chopping board. I might add few pop rivets.

Do you know what kind of plastic it is?
This looks promising.

https://amzn.to/3MmdAJT

It's polypropylene, 5mm thick. Polypropylene is used for hinges because it can bend a lot of times without deterioration. It's a thermoplastic, which means it can be heated to melting without degradation. The usual melting point is 266 F, which is easy for a heat gun. It's not good for machining because it deforms at a low temperature. Maybe that means it could be reshaped well below the melting point. I want to shape it with sides to keep water from blowing around it. Maybe I could put one or more notches in each side so that if it hit something, it could flex instead of tearing the fender.

handlebar

Quote from: handlebar on May 06, 2022, 01:18:54 PM

This looks promising.

It's polypropylene, 5mm thick. Polypropylene is used for hinges because it can bend a lot of times without deterioration. It's a thermoplastic, which means it can be heated to melting without degradation. The usual melting point is 266 F, which is easy for a heat gun. It's not good for machining because it deforms at a low temperature. Maybe that means it could be reshaped well below the melting point. I want to shape it with sides to keep water from blowing around it. Maybe I could put one or more notches in each side so that if it hit something, it could flex instead of tearing the fender.

I guess plastic cutting boards are usually polypropylene. I have one 9mm thick, and that leads me to believe that even 5mm might be too thick for this purpose.

https://amzn.to/3yIFJqS

This might do. The flexible ones seem to be 1mm thick as a rule. These are 1.3. I found an old plastic cutting board on a shelf. It's 0.63 thick. It feels as if it could work. I think one twice as thick (1.3mm) would be adequate but not strong enough to wreck my fender if the extension hit something. Polypropylene can't be painted, so I'll have to chose a color from the pack.

Kari

This looks promising.

2 mm thick polypropylene.
But small touch to the terrace board was too much for it.

handlebar

Quote from: Kari on May 07, 2022, 09:00:12 AM

This looks promising.

2 mm thick polypropylene.
But small touch to the terrace board was too much for it.

That's what I like to see! An extension that can give way without damaging your fender. It looks like 6" off the ground. If it could have been shaped closer to the tire, it might not have hit.

The nature of your break gives me an idea. Maybe I can cut a couple of vertical slits to let the polypropylene extension give way and spring back. I guess the proper approach is to drill a couple of holes and cut the slit between them.

handlebar

The cutting boards I bought were supposed to be 1.3mm thick. Actually, they're 1.0mm polypropylene with 0.3mm dots of silicone rubber on the back to reduce sliding. 1.0mm polypropylene seems plenty strong, but I doubt it could damage my fender.

It comes off the fender at such an angle that I had to bend it sharply with heat. The folds don't look good, but they seem durable. It's 5.5" off the ground and so close to the tire that damage is unlikely.

I think I can do better by skipping the side rivets and using the center rivet and the screws for the fender wire. I can shim it at the rivet so I won't need a radical bend. The sides are 1/2". I'll try 1/4", to curve better without folding.