News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Bolton controller upgrade for Rad city step thru

Started by teachdubai, March 26, 2022, 09:12:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

teachdubai

I have just put in the Bolton controller upgrade on my 2019 step thru and only got 20 km max distance. There were two big hills. The hills are the reason I put in the upgrade. Has anyone else done this? What were your distances? Maybe I made a mistake. Going to try a flat ride today and see how far I can go. Anyone else done this upgrade? Thinking of buying a larger battery. Can I do this snd still have the bike work properly. Help needed. Thank you

Radio Runner

More power comes at the cost of less battery life.

Tony

I get a lot more than that on my mini 4 but not accurately measured it on mixed riding. I do use pedal assist. Not sure if you are using pedal assist or throttle only.

Altema

It's easy to use up the battery when you are pushing 1600 watts instead of 750. The Bolton controller is not as efficient and the Rad controller, but you should be getting more range than that if you ride about the same as before.

ElectricRides

I really didn't notice a huge loss in ride distance when I upgraded my controller from stock to the 35 amp.  What kind of distance were you getting before the switch?

Altema

Quote from: ElectricRides on April 02, 2022, 07:04:54 AM
I really didn't notice a huge loss in ride distance when I upgraded my controller from stock to the 35 amp.  What kind of distance were you getting before the switch?
I was using about 17 watt hours per mile with the stock Rad controller.
The 35 amp controller was using 22.4 watt hours per mile, so not a big difference, and well worth the extra power.

billnye97

Quote from: teachdubai on March 26, 2022, 09:12:00 AM
I have just put in the Bolton controller upgrade on my 2019 step thru and only got 20 km max distance. There were two big hills. The hills are the reason I put in the upgrade. Has anyone else done this? What were your distances? Maybe I made a mistake. Going to try a flat ride today and see how far I can go. Anyone else done this upgrade? Thinking of buying a larger battery. Can I do this snd still have the bike work properly. Help needed. Thank you

What settings did you program for it?