Author Topic: On the fence  (Read 2444 times)

sunfun2107

• View Profile
On the fence
« on: July 03, 2021, 11:57:23 AM »
I am itching to buy myself an e-bike.  Been years since I have ridden and I am excited to get back to it.  I am more interested in trails (I am 49 and don't do the dare devil stuff).  I am talking a lot more low key but also want to use it for a bit of commute when i feel like it.  The rad bike is an affordable option and they are nice looking (my style is the RadMission 1 Electric Metro Bike).  I am wanting a mountain bike style.  I am not interested in the smaller or step through bikes (Hope I got that terminology right lol).  The only thing that detours me from the Rad back right now is the fact there is only one gear.  That is is a bit annoying.  I guess what i am looking for is this community to tell me if its something that would fit my bill.  Trails.  I am also looking at the lankrunner MX3.8 https://www.lankeleisicanada.com/product-page/mx-3-8 but it is a bit more expensive.  Would be awesome to hear from all you experienced Rad riders out there.  Thank you in advance.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 11:59:49 AM by sunfun2107 »

Jeff_RI

• View Profile
Re: On the fence
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2021, 02:38:02 PM »
I Bought a Rad Mission a few weeks ago. The single Speed is a trade off. On one hand you get simplicity and less equipment that needs to be adjusted and less weight. The downside is when pedaling on a steep incline you will have to put a considerable pressure on your knees and the drivetrain and use full throttle. On moderate inclines it's not a problem. On declines or when going over 18 MPH your pedal cadence will be faster than desired with the single speed.

Something to consider: Will you be biking on lots off hills or mostly flat terrain?

If you want a very similar bike with 7 speeds, I would look a the Ariel Rideal.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 11:08:43 AM by Jeff_RI »

wagon4owner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2021, 05:05:10 PM »
I Bought a Rad Mission a few weeks ago. The single Speed is a trade off. On one hand you get simplicity and less equipment that needs to be adjusted and less weight. The downside is when pedaling on a steep incline you will have to put a considerable pressure on your knees and the drivetrain and use full throttle. On moderate inclines it's not a problem. On declines or when going over 18 MPH your pedal cadence will be faster than desired with the single speed.

Something to consider: Will you be biking on lots off hills or mostly flat terrain?

If you want a very similar bike with 7 speeds, I would look a the Ariel Rideal.

Excellent advice. I second this. Also, if you are planning to do any gravel trails then the front suspension is really useful. Consider the Rad Rover 5/ Rad city 4.. Both also have gears.

SemperVee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2021, 07:36:53 AM »
 we are bike riders but the S/O pushed the idea of ebike and living in Seattle after due dilligence for value and features wanted we both went with City bike step thru's as the best of all worlds.    It has reinvigorated our riding that we already loved.   FEAR no hills.    We are a mature couple.   

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2021, 07:36:53 AM »