Author Topic: Bike won’t turn on  (Read 8099 times)

Rickesco

• View Profile
Bike won’t turn on
« on: June 25, 2021, 08:39:28 PM »
Hello,
Has anyone had the issue of the bike not turning on?  Battery has full charge, I turn the key and nothing. I’ve followed the troubleshooting guideline and still nothing. I also swapped the battery with my wife’s bike and same thing.  I appreciate any feedback. We have the  RadRover step thru and we’ve had it since January with no issues until now.

DCH3416

• View Profile
Re: Bike won’t turn on
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2021, 10:06:03 AM »
Try swapping displays and see if it'll power up.

And be sure to take a look at each of the plugs under the battery harness and make sure they're all tightly connected.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 10:14:13 AM by DCH3416 »

Rickesco

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2021, 07:04:51 PM »
Tha is I did that and still nothing. I think it’s prob the controller.

Hegemon920

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2021, 12:03:22 PM »
I'm having the exact same problem, did you ever figure it out? Do you have any advice?

DCH3416

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2021, 02:27:09 PM »
I'm having the exact same problem, did you ever figure it out? Do you have any advice?

Easiest thing to do first is check the battery fuse:
https://radpowerbikes.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360002324673-Battery-Fuse-Replacement-Guide

Check your cable connections all around as well.

When my bike had a no start issue it ended up being the display components. Replaced that as well as the pedal sensor and everything was working normally.

Since parts are in short supply right now you can also look at an aftermarket display+controller:
https://electrobikeworld.com/t/rad-power-upgrades

I did buy one of those for my RadCity as a temporary solution while waiting for the factory parts.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 02:30:14 PM by DCH3416 »

MRiney

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2021, 10:25:13 AM »
System only powers up after removing and reinstalling battery, each time.
Mode button is "touchy". It does not need to be held to turn on bike, just a quick press.

Rad replaced the controller but the problem persisted. They replaced the switch and display in April that did resolve to issue.

This is a Rad Rover Step Through but the problem may not be limited to this model

The problem is back today (August 26, 2021

Hopefully Rad will continue the support of their warranty.

Just found (August 28th) that disconnecting and reconnecting the Switch / Display cables will circumvents the problem.

Question: What causes the battery or the cables to need to be reseated after every power off???

Sept 22 2021

Circumvention: I have found that switching the power off with the key and then back on circumvents the problem.

I'm wondering if leaving the battery powered on over long periods causes this problem (This is something I have done for 8 months). Now I turn the power off after ever ride and it seems like the problem is at least circumvented
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 08:06:58 AM by MRiney »

dantodd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2021, 11:52:16 AM »
I recently just worked through this problem with my RadRover.  Rad support was great about it. They first sent a controller and when that didn't fic the problem they sent a new main wiring harness and that did fix the issue and the bike turns on just fine now. If I were you I'd pop the controller off the bike that isn't working and connect it to the working bike. If the bike powers up you now know that both the display and the controller are good so you've narrowed it down to the wiring. They covered mine under warranty but if you are out of warranty the harness was just $30.

deadbird8

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 12:25:37 AM »
I recently just worked through this problem with my RadRover.  Rad support was great about it. They first sent a controller and when that didn't fic the problem they sent a new main wiring harness and that did fix the issue and the bike turns on just fine now. If I were you I'd pop the controller off the bike that isn't working and connect it to the working bike. If the bike powers up you now know that both the display and the controller are good so you've narrowed it down to the wiring. They covered mine under warranty but if you are out of warranty the harness was just $30.

That sounds like a lot of down time with support sending parts multiple times. 

I have a 2 week old Rad City 4 <80 miles that lost all power while riding.  Support doesn't seem to be in any hurry to resolve this early life failure.  Before contacting support,  I swapped batteries and thats not the issue, I also went through the whole connector check in the Help site troubleshooting.  Still won't turn on. 

Seems like a common issue, are there any wiring schematics available to check continuity and/or power at the harness connections?    I'd like to get the bike running again, its getting close to a week since first contacting support and I had to follow-up with a call.. They did mention sending a replacement harness and controller that "may" solve the issue but I don't have confirmation that anything is enroute.    Swapping out parts blindly seems like rocks and clubs troubleshooting.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 12:25:37 AM »