Author Topic: Has anybody used the Harbor Freight hitch carrier with a RadMini Step-Thru?  (Read 5963 times)

JimInPT

• View Profile
I'm thinking of ordering this carrier.  Reviews online are pretty good and the price is right, but I'm wondering how adaptable the support spacing is for the RadMini's wheelbase and tire diameter - all the reviews/photos I've found either illustrate a motorcycle or larger Rover-sized e-bike.   It's supposedly rated to 400 lb, so a 90-lb Mini should be no problem.

I think it'd work fine, but would rather discover reasons why not before ordering.

https://www.harborfreight.com/400-lb-receiver-mount-aluminum-motorcycle-carrier-62837.html

« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 07:59:52 AM by JimInPT »
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

vudude

• View Profile
Don't have it so can't talk you out of it. Have looked it over and it looks decent. There is no upright support, only straps.   

JimInPT

• View Profile
There is no upright support, only straps.

Thanks - that's true, and I thought about it, but concluded that if people are hauling 250-350 lb motorcycles in reviews without complaint, a 90-lb Mini shouldn't be an issue if properly cinched down.  In addition to the ramp (which I think is a bit too short, increasing the load angle), I think I'll be trying the regular Hollywood carrier routine of rearing the bike up on her hind legs, planting the front wheel into place and then lifting the rear end up without using the ramp at all.

Finally dug up a 20% discount code and put one on order just now.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 08:00:44 AM by JimInPT »

SergeL

• View Profile
There is no upright support, only straps.

Thanks - that's true, and I thought about it, but concluded that if people are hauling 250-350 lb motorcycles in reviews without complaint, a 90-lb Mini shouldn't be an issue if properly cinched down.  In addition to the ramp (which I think is a bit too short, increasing the load angle), I think I'll be trying the regular Hollywood carrier routine of rearing the bike up on her hind legs, planting the front wheel into place and then lifting the rear end up without using the ramp at all.

Finally dug up a 20% discount code and put one on order just now.

Any updates?

moparherb

• View Profile
I have that rack. I have a RadRunner Plus which weighs 74 lbs and it fits on very securely.  I?m really nervous about hauling my expensive ebike around but so far it doesn?t seem to move a bit. I strap it down good and away I go. My only dislike of this rack is that it is heavy (50 lbs) and a handful to get started into the hitch receiver on my SUV. it also is quite large and does not fold up so storing it in my garage is a bit of a challenge.

JimInPT

• View Profile
Any updates?

Sorry, I should have returned to follow up.  Yes, I got it and it works very well for my MiniST - all I did to mod it was drill out the pop rivets under a supporting bar at the rear wheel so I could shove it forward, allowing the rear tire to drop lower into the carrier; compare first and second pics below.  My Mini weighs about 89 lbs after the accessories were bolted on, but the carrier is rated to over 350, so that's no problem.  I can just drive the bike onto and off the carrier with the ramp, using the motor in "walking mode" and standing at ground level - easy to do.  My driveway slopes down to the street, so I park the truck at the bottom, which puts the carrier lower to the driveway surface for a more-gentle ramp angle, as shown in the pics.

I cut the tiedown straps to length once I was sure where they needed to go.  You want to make sure to lock out the front suspension before tying down, to keep it from bouncing loose in front.  The black bar is from Hollywood Racks, to adapt weird frames to hanging-type carriers, but it was useful to create tiedown points as well.  Surprisingly difficult to find this bar online, but doable.  Once all the tiedowns are cinched up and the receiver anti-sway clamps torqued down, the entire assembly is solid and doesn't wiggle.

Also have a cover and large cargo net to lash down the cover for carrying in wet or dusty weather over long distances to keep the bike clean, and add-on turn signals if needed.  Let me know if any more questions; I'd definitely recommend this carrier as an inexpensive single-bike option.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 08:22:36 AM by JimInPT »

SergeL

• View Profile
Thanks for the updates! Good job!

JimInPT

• View Profile
Thanks for the updates! Good job!

Thanks!  By the way, the reflective tape on the ramp edge is something I added for safety.  It's this, just a tad wider than the metal, but works fine without trimming: https://amzn.to/3Go5v4R
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 07:46:57 AM by Ryan »

Packrat1

• View Profile
I am in the process of having two Radcity 5 Plus delivered. I can’t find a Hollywood HR1500 E Bike Rack so I will need to use my Harbor Freight / discount ramps black widow ramp until I can find a Hollywood rack. I’m trying to figure a way to use the included ramp to haul both bikes back there. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 09:42:01 AM by Packrat1 »

JimInPT

• View Profile
I’m trying to figure a way to use the included ramp to haul both bikes back there. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Will two bikes even fit side-by-side on that carrier?  It looks too narrow, although it's hard to tell for sure without a side-view picture.

Packrat1

• View Profile
Here’s a side view, I have plenty of straps and it only would be temporary. A bike shop in Vegas is set up to assemble and tune Rad Bikes so I need to transport them once they get put together.

Packrat1

• View Profile
I do have a Hollywood Trail Rider HR200 two bike rack that says 45 lbs max per bike. Even if I take the battery out of the Radcity 5 Plus it weighs roughly 64 less the battery 7lbs so say 57 lbs. Do you think it would be safe limping home with two bikes on that rack?

JimInPT

• View Profile
I do have a Hollywood Trail Rider HR200 two bike rack that says 45 lbs max per bike. Even if I take the battery out of the Radcity 5 Plus it weighs roughly 64 less the battery 7lbs so say 57 lbs. Do you think it would be safe limping home with two bikes on that rack?

The "45 lbs" includes an unknown safety factor, possibly up to double that, but it's still a risk.  The stresses imposed by weight in motion are much higher than just the dead weight alone at rest.

If you just want to limp slowly home a short distance in an emergency, load up both bikes, strap them down, climb up onto the very end of the rack with the bikes and bounce up and down as hard as you can.  If it withstands that, it might be good for such a case.  Remember, if something comes off on the road, you could really hurt somebody or cause serious damage to vehicles behind you.

Packrat1

• View Profile
Rad just got the Hollywood E Bike rack back in stock holds up to 80lbs each bike. Just got it delivered so I think I’m ok and won’t need to use the motorcycle rack.

Does any have some good clip on turn signals for their bike rack?

JimInPT

• View Profile
Rad just got the Hollywood E Bike rack back in stock holds up to 80lbs each bike. Just got it delivered so I think I’m ok and won’t need to use the motorcycle rack.

Does any have some good clip on turn signals for their bike rack?

Good move, and a safer option if you need to carry two bikes.

I use a Harbor Freight motorcycle carrier for my MiniST and it works great (see pics above), and have these magnetic turn signals available for use with the cover, at night etc. - they're pretty decent and well-made.  The carrier is aluminum, so I have to velcro or bungee these in place.  https://amzn.to/3Chkprt

« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 07:47:32 AM by Ryan »

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum