Author Topic: Handlebar extensions  (Read 2862 times)

dpbel

• View Profile
Handlebar extensions
« on: June 08, 2021, 02:20:26 PM »
Hi All.....Has anyone had success using any kind of extension handlebars on either their Mini ST or Mini4 ?  Contemplating on purchasing this one:
 GUB 31.8MM Double Clamp Carbon Fiber Super Long Bike Bicycle Handlebar Extender .
I'm sure many are the same when mounting but question the fit on the Mini's Bars.  Thanks

Jman

• View Profile
Re: Handlebar extensions
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2021, 05:35:09 PM »
I replaced my Mini Step Thru handlebars with this:  https://amzn.to/3wq7QXW
and this:  https://amzn.to/35gipRa

The grips were a pain to swap over but I like the end results. 

I also put this on as well but it needed some shims.  https://amzn.to/3vmxU4C
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 07:06:18 PM by Ryan »

dpbel

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2021, 04:39:06 AM »
Thanks for the links....Did you find that the stock handlebars had sufficient space for squeezing in the external bar mounts?

Jman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2021, 09:07:32 AM »
I did not try the extension with the stock bars so not sure.

JimInPT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 03:18:09 PM »
I installed that same GUB extender (https://amzn.to/3A4g3D4) on my stock-handlebar MiniST2 last week and it's a very nice product.  It will fit, just barely, on the straight center section of the bar on either side of the Rad's LCD display mounts, thanks to its narrow mounting clamp rings, as I expected and hoped when ordering it.  Comes with shims as you may know, so it'll fit most any standard-size handlebar.  I think it really is carbon-fiber and not just an imitation skin - it's extremely light and stiff.  I'm not a CF bike-parts expert, but although I fastened it down firmly I didn't really crank down on it with the hex wrench to avoid cracking it.  There are some review pics of people who broke the handlebar mounting-clamp rings, so don't go nuts torquing down on that end either.  Those rings would be stronger if not for the cutouts, which don't save much weight.

I like it a lot, just like their terrific all-metal phone mount - well made, clamps securely and strong.  It solved the problems caused by the curved and tapered stock bar that doesn't allow much room for other stuff, especially a light that has to be pointed straight ahead.  Moved my GUB phone mount to it, then added a PlanetBike 800-lumen headlight and a small electronic horn that's annoyingly loud for when I need to get a rolled-up-window driver's attention.  There is still plenty of room on the outboard right side of the extender to add a camera mount or other gadget if desired.  At about 8" overall bar length, it's just right for me and not obnoxiously huge.

It seems to be worth the extra cost compared to other extenders and my happy experience with their phone mount gave me confidence in the brand.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 07:45:36 PM by Ryan »
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

dpbel

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2021, 07:13:27 PM »
Thanks a bunch JimInPT...That's what I wanted to hear before ordering.  Will have to look t the phone mount too.   Thanks again!

JimInPT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2021, 08:05:35 AM »
Thanks a bunch JimInPT...That's what I wanted to hear before ordering.  Will have to look t the phone mount too.   Thanks again!

You're welcome.  It's now $4 cheaper than I paid just a couple weeks ago, so this is a good time to get it if interested.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2021, 08:05:35 AM »