News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Hills and Radwagon 4

Started by gibbarts, May 21, 2021, 08:16:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

gibbarts

Hi all, I have been wanting an E cargo bike for some years now and was about to plunge in with the Radwagon 4 but then I started reading some reviews about it's hill climbing capabilities and it gave me pause. The only reason I want the e bike is because i live up a big a$$ hill that goes for just over a mile at approximately 10-11% grade then i turn off the road and climb my gravel driveway that is even steeper for another 1/3 mile. Currently I can climb the hill with my two kids (5 y/o on an ibert seat and 7 y/o on a tag along bike) on my old Stumpjumper in granny gear the entire time, but I can't make it up my driveway and I'm beat by the time i get home. Leaving my house and cruising around town is easy, it's the ride home I dread and it keeps me from getting on my bike as often as I'd like, especially with the kids in tow. The goal behind getting the e-cargo bike is to haul the kids and do most of my town trips on the bike without killing myself on the way home. I don't expect the bike to do all the work for me, but I'd like it to do quite a bit of the work, especially when my wife gets on and rides it (she's no slouch). The features I like about the RWG are 1) price, 2) size range (I'm 5'10" and my wife is 5'3 and we could both ride the RW4)..

Can you experienced RW4 riders out there please give me honest feedback on whether or not the RW4 will perform adequately in my situation? I'd hate to get it out here and be super bummed if it can't cut the mustard.

Bernard

As so many companies, the pencil pushers at Rad Power Bikes took away the 21 speeds (3x7) of the Radwagon 3 and skimped it down to 7 speeds (1x7). Based on your extreme situation, I would advise you to shop for a Radwagon 3 so that you can take advantage of low gearing and the geared hub motor. Frankly, a middrive would be even better in your situation. You can get a used Radwagon 3 for less than $1K, and for another $450, you can add a Bafang middrive. I have not seen one, but two Radwagon 3 who had the original hubmotor plus a middrive. That would solve your problems for sure.

Ingmar

Hello gibbarts,
I am not having any problems with hills. I can go up a 10% slope at about 16 mph. Also with the Kids on it, no problem. The steepest slopes I had at maybe 25% were slowing me to about 6.5 mph. But weight is a considerable factor and I am very light with my 150 lbs. With me and my wife on it feels much slower, but that is with about 300 lbs on it.
I am only using the European version with 250w and a max speed of 16 mph.
With the previous answer I do not agree. The Radwagon 3 did not have a geared motor and thus much less torque. 7 gears are also no problem it does not give you less range only fewer increments.

Hilda

Quote from: gibbarts on May 21, 2021, 08:16:28 PM
Hi all, I have been wanting an E cargo bike for some years now and was about to plunge in with the Radwagon 4 but then I started reading some reviews about it's hill climbing capabilities and it gave me pause. The only reason I want the e bike is because i live up a big a$$ hill that goes for just over a mile at approximately 10-11% grade then i turn off the road and climb my gravel driveway that is even steeper for another 1/3 mile. Currently I can climb the hill with my two kids (5 y/o on an ibert seat and 7 y/o on a tag along bike) on my old Stumpjumper in granny gear the entire time, but I can't make it up my driveway and I'm beat by the time i get home. Leaving my house and cruising around town is easy, it's the ride home I dread and it keeps me from getting on my bike as often as I'd like, especially with the kids in tow. The goal behind getting the e-cargo bike is to haul the kids and do most of my town trips on the bike without killing myself on the way home. I don't expect the bike to do all the work for me, but I'd like it to do quite a bit of the work, especially when my wife gets on and rides it (she's no slouch). The features I like about the RWG are 1) price, 2) size range (I'm 5'10" and my wife is 5'3 and we could both ride the RW4)..

Can you experienced RW4 riders out there please give me honest feedback on whether or not the RW4 will perform adequately in my situation? I'd hate to get it out here and be super bummed if it can't cut the mustard.

Did you end up getting it? I'm also looking at the Radwagon 4 with two kids (1.5 and 4.5). We also live on a steep hill.

Bernard

"7 gears are also no problem it does not give you less range only fewer increments."
That's interesting indeed. Which gear on the Radwagon 4 would replace the 22x34 on the Radwagon 3?

Ryan

It sounds like you are fairly athletic. I'd think you might make it up in a low gear, high pas and working a bit. And if you couldn't there is always the option to go to the Bolton controller. Check out my channel for our two videos on what the controller did for improved performance on hills.