News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Rad Rover Motor noise

Started by SoCoRuss, March 21, 2021, 01:41:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

SoCoRuss

I have had a couple incidents since I got my Rad Rover last summer when a strange noise when using the pedal assist. It only lasted a few seconds then stopped. But yesterday got the bikes out for 1st ride since November on a ride and near the end of a 12 mile ride,  I have started getting a funny rubbing/howling and mild vibration, if I accelerated to see if the noise stopped, on a regular basis when I use pedal assist. Hard to describe the noise. Remember what the old caliber brakes sounded like when they had something on the rims and when you applied the brakes it kinda howled?

Anyone had this issue? Only 90 miles on bike, dont think this should be happening? Is there some lubing I missed or something? :-\

sc00ter

I have a noise that sounds like a old caliper brake as well, but only during take-off and it goes away. Mine points to a out of adjustment front (or rear) disc brake. Very hard to pinpoint. The Mini is new with only 1 mile so far. I was going to check/adjust everything anyways. Now I know my RadRunner motor makes a funny noise during take-off to mid-range but its a normal noise. Trying to think of what to compare it to. Runner has around 2000 miles. Hope this helps?

sc00ter

Adjusted everything on the Mini and now its just the same normal noise from the motor(s), same as the Runner.

SoCoRuss

I knew it wasn't the brakes due to no problem when I took battery off the bike and a long ride. Man, This bike will give you a workout when you ride with no battery help . So I got a video of the sound and sent to Rad. They think its the controller and are sending me a new one. I will update what happens with it. I attached the vid in case someone else gets the noise and vibration. I tried to attach the video but its too large even though its only 16 secs.. 8)

jmamtai

You need to lube the planetary gears in the rear hub with some thick white lithium grease. Noise will be gone and you'll actually go a little faster! I'm actually experimenting with some different  lubes hoping my gears don't react to the different lubes. 🤞