News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Pedal straps or clips?

Started by ianpro99, June 15, 2020, 11:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

ianpro99

Hi all, has anyone added toe clips or shoe straps to their bike? I love my Rad Rover, but am looking to keep feet on the pedals in the right position. I've seen some plastic not-quite-clips that you attach to the pedal that come over the front part of your shoe, but without straps for easy in and out.  Not sure if they will fit though.  Any advice is appreciated.

Ryan

Quote from: ianpro99 on June 15, 2020, 11:34:18 AM
Hi all, has anyone added toe clips or shoe straps to their bike? I love my Rad Rover, but am looking to keep feet on the pedals in the right position. I've seen some plastic not-quite-clips that you attach to the pedal that come over the front part of your shoe, but without straps for easy in and out.  Not sure if they will fit though.  Any advice is appreciated.

Just a suggestion - perhaps try some stickier pedals first, you may be surprised. The inability to quickly put your feet down might not be worth it. I've used toe straps before and I didn't like them at all. On my mountain bike I have clipless pedals which I suppose would be fine. Downside is it is harder to share your bike with others. I have some Hafny pedals coming and can let you know what I think.

ianpro99

Thanks Ryan. I have the clipless kind now, so easy in and out. Just may have to modify them to fit the pedals (which have the top edge protrude further then the bottom edge, on the short side, hence the fit problem).  Anyway, let me know what you think of the Hafney pedals too.

UsernameLOL

I just got a a radwagon 4. Today was the first time using Velcro straps. So far, they are working great. I have a nice hill on my way home from work and the straps helped out a lot. I haven't had issues with getting my foot in and outfoxed the straps. I think that has a lot to do with the type of shoe you use with them.  I'm going to try it out for a week then I'm going switch to clips.

George3

I tried these from Shimano and they are great.....My feet are on the pedals with great support and no slippage.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=90916

George

SergeL

Quote from: George3 on May 27, 2021, 09:06:35 PM
I tried these from Shimano and they are great.....My feet are on the pedals with great support and no slippage.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=90916

George

Agree 110% with George3. I got a set of these to replace the originals on a Cannondale after nearly falling down a rocky cliff due to my wet sneaker sole slipping off one of them Cannondale pedals as I was taking off (applying my full weight on that foot). They are not the cheapest, but they are worth every penny (I had thought of saving a few bucks ordering no-name pedals... bearing grabbed and ultimately seized on first outing, with pedal flying off.) YMMV

DickB

I don't like straps anymore. I used these Power Grips on my recumbent years ago. They do not allow your feet to rotate in both directions. I took a spill, my body twisted the wrong way, and this was the result.

SergeL

Quote from: ianpro99 on June 15, 2020, 11:34:18 AM

You may be refering to the "Zefal "Cristophe" Mountain Bicycle Half Toe Clip". My wife and I use them on our mountain bikes. If you can put them on your pedals, they keep your foot from slipping forward when applying torque, help on the up stroke of the pedalling motion, and you don't feel welded to your pedal, you can easiyl wiggle out of them as required. As to putting your foot back in, the weight of the cage will get the pedal at the vertical, and you simply put your sole to the edge of the pedal, and can easily slip back in, without looking, just by feel. They come in two sizes; as long as the tip of your shoes is not too bulky, you can use them. YMMV