Author Topic: Why the intermittent drag when coasting downhill?  (Read 4227 times)

Fisher65

• View Profile
Why the intermittent drag when coasting downhill?
« on: February 13, 2021, 11:33:14 AM »
My 2018 European Radwagon does this thing where you´re coasting down a hill and you´ll feel a slight drag in the motor that comes and goes. It only happens if your speed is approaching or exceeding the maximum set speed of the controller. To be clear, this is without touching the brakes and activating the regenerative braking; it seems to be braking mildly all by itself, but the regen display shows nothing. It´s puzzling, and also annoying at those times you want to make the most of a long descent at speed and the bike won´t let you.

Rjbur007

• View Profile
Re: Why the intermittent drag when coasting downhill?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 09:26:00 AM »
My 2018 European Radwagon does this thing where you´re coasting down a hill and you´ll feel a slight drag in the motor that comes and goes. It only happens if your speed is approaching or exceeding the maximum set speed of the controller. To be clear, this is without touching the brakes and activating the regenerative braking; it seems to be braking mildly all by itself, but the regen display shows nothing. It´s puzzling, and also annoying at those times you want to make the most of a long descent at speed and the bike won´t let you.
It has a Direct Drive motor... thus the magnets in the motor make it act like an exercise bike when in 0 pedal assist or just coasting and not pedaling.

It is also why with just a little break lever movement it turns into a regenerative braking system.  Only the direct drive motors offer the regenerative braking feature. 

So in short, it’s normal...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum