News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

2019 Rad City Headlight, power assist, and turn off problems

Started by Winterhawk, November 29, 2020, 12:32:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Winterhawk

My wifes Rad City with 1750 miles has many issues. Before going any further all connections have been checked multiple times and the battery is fully charged. Here's the issues.
1. Turn key to on and then push LCD contol middle button toturn on display. Display turns on but pushing the middle button again does not turn off display. You need to turn key off for display to yurn off.

2. Pedal assist goes up by pushing top botton, but does not go down by pushing bottom button. Must turn bike off with key to reset pedal assist to 1.

3. Pushing middle and top buttons does not turn on headlight or taillight.

4. Pushing middle and top buttons puts LCD screen into program mode and displays "prgrm" and below that it displays "1435".

Anyone ever had these issues?

FortunatelyTheMilk

Is there a factory reset you can do on the controller?

Is the bike stock?

Have you asked Radpower customer support about it?

fin_rad

If under warranty, contact the RPB customer service - they will help you.

For me it sounds like the button switch module or the display itself is the resson and perhaps faulty.

Good questions were made already, is the bike stock? Is there way to reset settings to default?

Winterhawk

Bike is stock and customer support was  ontacted today. I'll report back when resolved.

Winterhawk

Customer support is extremely busy and never got back to me. In the mean time the issue is now solved and everything is working as it should. I did nothing except remove the rear wheel to fix yet another flat tire. After 0utting wheel back on, putting battery back in, I tried everything and it all works. This may not be the issue but I'm wondering if the contrl buttons are water proof? The b8ke was ridden in the rain several times and the last few days have been dry. Just a thought.

fin_rad

Quote from: Winterhawk on November 29, 2020, 12:32:34 PM
My wifes Rad City with 1750 miles has many issues. Before going any further all connections have been checked multiple times and the battery is fully charged. Here's the issues.
1. Turn key to on and then push LCD contol middle button toturn on display. Display turns on but pushing the middle button again does not turn off display. You need to turn key off for display to yurn off.

2. Pedal assist goes up by pushing top botton, but does not go down by pushing bottom button. Must turn bike off with key to reset pedal assist to 1.

3. Pushing middle and top buttons does not turn on headlight or taillight.

4. Pushing middle and top buttons puts LCD screen into program mode and displays "prgrm" and below that it displays "1435".

Anyone ever had these issues?

Well, this must be a great coincident but after my reply to your post I got e-x-a-c-t-l-y the same issues that you describe here. Every single one. Only the code was different, "prog" and "1392". My Rad is the RadRhino 750W EU version model year 2019.

And yes, it's been rainy weather here as well and I have kept my bike outdoor as well as riding it in rain. Now the temperature went down and my problems started. Brakes were slightly frozen too.

What seems to help was just letting the bike dry out inside my house, and unplugging all the connectors + spray some electronic cleaner to remove any water and dirt. I also opened the button module and display module, but they seem quite waterproof. Only possible way water could go inside the modules is through the cable holes, but cannot see what kind of insulation they have used with them.

Time will show if this was the cure or it will come back. Possible that something is corroded inside the modules already...

Edit: and yes, better cover the switch and display modules with something. Also better at least cover the bicycle with something, even better to keep it warm inside the house... :)

gera tho

First of all Customer Support always seems to be extremely busy which may just be a short staffing issue. I've had better luck going to the Support page on the website and chatting when the Chat button says they're online. I had a similar but probably unrelated issue in that while riding either my Pedal Assist up or down arrows on the remote didn't work.  When they started working again they sometimes increased or decreased more than one number. Rad Tech told me that if the brakes are in any way engaged then the PA buttons will not function. This makes sense as it may prevent the brakes from being less effective. It also explains the jump in more than one level of PA when it starts functioning again.