Author Topic: Changing a Tire... Can't Get it Off!  (Read 3931 times)

WagsideHouse

• View Profile
Changing a Tire... Can't Get it Off!
« on: August 31, 2021, 01:58:45 PM »
Hi Everyone! I'm a new RadMini Step-Thru 2 owner & work commuter! I love it--- love love love. But my biggest fear whenever I ride is a flat tire, so I'd like to practice a repair before I'm actually in need of one. I've watched Rad's Change-a-Flat video, and a few others. I'm not handy at all, but I'm ready to try!

Unfortunately.... I can't loosen the Axle Nut on the rear tire! It's on TIGHT. The bike is only 2 weeks old, they must have used Hulk Hogan to tighten this thing at the factory. Eek.

My (probably silly) Question:  Can I use WD-40 to loosen the nut?

If I use WD-40, will I ever get the tire back on and tight, or because of the grease on the lug nut threads, will it be super wobbly? I don't want the tire to come off when I'm riding down one of the big hills I have to tackle to get to work.  :-\

Or... is there a better way to loosen an Axle nut?

Thank you in advance for any help/advice!

Jen

DCH3416

• View Profile
Re: Changing a Tire... Can't Get it Off!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 03:59:47 PM »
I'd advise picking up a torque wrench just to make sure your rear wheel is properly torqued. The bolt shouldn't work its way loose if it's properly torqued.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 07:41:59 PM by DCH3416 »

DCH3416

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 07:48:21 PM »
Probably stray away from using WD-40 as well. It's not really an appropriate lubricant to use around the gearing. You shouldn't need it anyway. Just get yourself a small breaker bar if you want it easier to get the bolt off.

I keep the stock tools on my bike which can be used in a pinch, as well as spare tubes. For home I'd suggest investing in a basic set of ok quality tools to fit in a tool bag. Those would be better for basic service like pulling off the wheel.

rutrowlb

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 03:40:07 PM »
Hi Everyone! I'm a new RadMini Step-Thru 2 owner & work commuter! I love it--- love love love. But my biggest fear whenever I ride is a flat tire, so I'd like to practice a repair before I'm actually in need of one. I've watched Rad's Change-a-Flat video, and a few others. I'm not handy at all, but I'm ready to try!

Unfortunately.... I can't loosen the Axle Nut on the rear tire! It's on TIGHT. The bike is only 2 weeks old, they must have used Hulk Hogan to tighten this thing at the factory. Eek.

My (probably silly) Question:  Can I use WD-40 to loosen the nut?

If I use WD-40, will I ever get the tire back on and tight, or because of the grease on the lug nut threads, will it be super wobbly? I don't want the tire to come off when I'm riding down one of the big hills I have to tackle to get to work.  :-\

Or... is there a better way to loosen an Axle nut?

Thank you in advance for any help/advice!

Jen
Did you ever get it loose having same issue.  For those not in the know you can't use a 18mm socket on a tourge wrench. 

JimL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 07:23:56 PM »
Do not use a socket to remove because it puts some side load into the axle thread (when mounted to the ratchet handle).  Use a straight, box end 18mm wrench (you will find "ratcheting box end" wrenches available in 18 mm, which are straight/flat).

The straight box end ensures that all of the applied force is at a true right angle to the axle shaft.  Anything else could break the shaft.

I could not get mine loose with a socket (on both our bkes), but it came loose just fine with my ratcheting 18mm box end wrench.  Sometimes basic physics can get the best of us! :P
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 07:27:11 PM by JimL »

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2021, 07:07:25 AM »
Yes, the Hulk has a job at Rad tightening axle nuts, but it beats having them come lose while riding! (cough, Onyx RCR, cough cough) 😉
Avoid the WD-40, and get a LONG 18mm box end wrench to break it free. The extra length gives you leverage to get it lose the first time. For the nut on the cable side, you will need to snip the plastic cable tie closest to the wheel, and unplug the motor connector. Then you will need to slip the wrench over the cable to get it on the nut, and remember to make sure the wrench is all the way on the nut so it does not slip. A good example of a wrench is this one below, or you can get a ratcheting type.

https://amzn.to/3ny7rz5

Paul
« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 09:07:38 AM by Ryan »

Veggyhed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2021, 12:22:51 PM »
I have the same problem when I had to change an inner tube. It takes a ratchet with a longer handle to break but not loose. Since then I have not had that problem removing my back wheel. I also use anti seize compound now on the nut.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

rutrowlb

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2021, 05:59:40 PM »
After going through this experience I am glad I tried to loosen the nuts at home. If  I needed to change a intertube in the field  Would not be able to do it I'd highly recommend anyone Do this at home 1st get it loose enough Before you're outriding and having a bad day with it

JimL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2021, 10:40:29 AM »
Beaded tire removal: 

Step 1:  After removing valve core (all air out of tube), using the spoon end of tire iron, lever the bead over the side of the rim.

Step 2:  Turn the wheel over and lever the other side of the bead over the other side of the rim.  The wheel rim should now be completely inside the tire.

Step 3:  Hold the wheel vertical, with the valve stem sticking up through the rim, at the bottom.  Push the rim down all the way into the bottom of the tire.

Step 4:  You will now have a large gap between the top of the rim and the upper bead areas of the tire.

Step 5:  Simply pull the rim out of the tire, at the top, and you will not need to use tire tool.

Reassembly is this method reversed.  Start with tube inside tire, valve step at the bottom.  Use the flat end of tire tool to spread the beads far enough to slide the rim down between the beads.

The flat end of the tool is used to lever the bead back over the side of the rim.  Flip the tire/wheel over and lever the other side back on, the same way.

This method prevents pinching the tube between tire and rim during removal or installation.

It is the method taught by Husqvarna, clear back in the days of their motocross championship tour teams.  They demonstrated it (for local mechanics and dealers) all across the U.S. back in the early 1970s.  Many of you probably did not get to participate in those dealer/team training exercises.

This method works even easier on tubeless tires.

Eric7

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2022, 02:19:18 PM »
I bought a big 18 mm wrench to loosen the nut but I have not tried it.  But this is my suggestion for you.  I wouldn't use the wrench that came with the bike.

I have thought about this a lot.  I don't think I'll ever try to fix a flat tire on an ebike on the side of the road again.  I'll just call an ride service.  Sure it will cost $100 but it is much more pleasant.  I filled my tube up with slime.  If that does not do the job, I give up.  I mean sometimes you got to do it.  But if you can call a car, seriously consider it.

I have commuted by bicycle for 5.5 years in my life and changed flats many times on the side of the road but it is unpleasant even on a regular bike. On an ebike it is much harder. The flats don't always happen in a nice place.  Sometimes it is in a field full of insects and other times it is on the side of some busy highway in the full sun when your water bottle is empty.  You really have to ask yourself - do I really want to do it on the side of a road?

Just sharing something else.  Many years ago I bought the biggest adjustable wrench I could find to remove a freewheel using some freewheel tool and found that the adjustable wrench cannot do the job.  The jaws deformed, I guess the wrench was not truly hardened.  So I don't suggest buying an adjustable wrench.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2022, 02:19:18 PM »