News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Alternate Front Basket Options?

Started by smlmccrmck, April 25, 2022, 10:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

smlmccrmck

Hi Everyone-- I just purchased a Radrunner 2, would like to install a front rack or front basket, but am daunted by the prices at Rad for these items. Has anyone had any luck with alternate front racks or front baskets, custom or otherwise?  Thank you!

Eric7

Just sharing.  I fell a few times and each time banged up the front.  Hit my handlebar mounted phone and stuff like that.  Other people fall too - it is common.  On youtube there are some web reviewers who fell 3 times in the first 200 miles (2 tired teachers reviewing Mini ST).

I used to think I want a front basket but if I had one I think I would have banged up 2 already. 

On the other hand, my rear rack does not have a scratch on it even with the falls.  So I think I'll stay with just a rear rack.

Just something to think about.

smlmccrmck

Thanks for your caution, Eric!  I'm using my Radrunner to transport my kiddo to and from school, which means that a rear basket and/or saddle bag doesn't work for us, which is why I'm eager to explore front basket options.  Has anyone discovered an alternate front basket / front storage solution that works, or should I just buck up and spend $100 on Rad's front basket?

Dragonstr

I too an looking for after market options for the front basket.. i have seen pictures of folks just slapping a milk crate to the front and rear. But i assume you at least need the front rack to have something to mount it to.

smlmccrmck

It's tough b/c none of Rad's pre-drilled mounting holes are standard . . . a financially wise decision on their part, to be sure, as it ensures we'll eventually cave and purchase accessories directly from them, but also a source of frustration for me. 

madbroulton

Spring for the RP Front mounted basket! I't's heavy duty enough to haul a lot and also survive crashes...

Radio Runner

Quote from: smlmccrmck on May 01, 2022, 02:33:30 PM
It's tough b/c none of Rad's pre-drilled mounting holes are standard . . . a financially wise decision on their part, to be sure, as it ensures we'll eventually cave and purchase accessories directly from them, but also a source of frustration for me.

I totally understand your point, however it should be noted that there is no standard for head tube bolt patterns. That being said Rads baskets and front rack are really made well and I can see other companies using Rads pattern more and more often so their bikes can use them. Maybe this will cause a defacto standards of sorts.

Velo Noir

I zip tied a bikase black plastic basket from Amazon to my Radrunner. It's lighter and enclosed unlike the rad basket.

Radio Runner

Quote from: Velo Noir on May 02, 2022, 09:15:57 PM
I zip tied a bikase black plastic basket from Amazon to my Radrunner. It's lighter and enclosed unlike the rad basket.

I've done the same with a milk crate but use toe clip pedal straps.