Author Topic: Rear view camera  (Read 1994 times)

crorris

• View Profile
Rear view camera
« on: July 14, 2021, 10:38:03 AM »
I wanted a way to see behind me better while I was riding. I tried a helmet mirror, but that didn't work for me. I also tried a mirror on my handlebars, but I had to lean to the side to see past myself. I have a mirror on the end of the handle grip now and that's better, but still not exactly what I wanted. I also tried a cheap GoPro type camera mounted on the rear of my bike that connected via Wi-Fi to my phone mounted on my handlebars. The problem with that was the image was in reverse and I also could use my maps on my phone at the same time. Then, a couple of weeks ago I found this.

https://amzn.to/3zx2xGW

I mounted the camera to back of the rack on my RadRover. The screen is nice because it has it's own rechargeable battery. I can also plug that into the Rav battery to charge if I ever need to. It's supposed to last 4 -5 hours on a charge. I've only tried it for an hour so far and it still seemed to be pretty full.

I also added this to address the lack of available space to mount more things on my handlebars (like this screen).

https://amzn.to/3x0M0cT

« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 11:58:49 AM by Ryan »

JimInPT

• View Profile
Re: Rear view camera
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2021, 11:29:08 AM »
I absolutely love useful gadgets, but this seems like a solution in search of a problem.  More stuff to charge, more stuff to break or be stolen.  I have twin $15 Mirrycle mirrors that work fine; no batteries needed.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

FortunatelyTheMilk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2021, 11:15:38 AM »
Got pics of the install? If seems a little like overkill to me, but whatever floats your boat. I had to laugh at the comparison items!

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2021, 10:14:33 AM »
I have a similar version with a custom camera holder for the rear. I prefer mirrors in daylight, but mirrors are useless at night on dark trails. My biggest problem is it's size, so I don't put the display on the bike unless I know I'm going to be trail riding at night.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2021, 10:14:33 AM »