News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Standard Pannier bags with Rad rack

Started by BrenC11, July 03, 2021, 12:42:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

BrenC11

Hey folks

I've just fitted a rad rack to my rad mini and the bars are obviously too big for the standard bike bag. Whats the best way to attach? used zip ties and a bungie but its not exactly secure. ha

Cheers
B

Wulfhere

Haolehui

There is a guy on Etsy who makes an adapter for Rad bikes to hang your panniers on. We just ordered a pair for our Rad Wagon 4.  I can't give you a review on them yet since they are currently in the mail. However, it's worth a look.  If the link doesn't work it's called "Pannier  Adapter for Rad Power Bikes" and SuperKnuckle is the seller/maker, but his name is Pace. 

https://etsy.me/2NCa6dg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kari

I made a adapter from bottom part of old cart (similar in last picture). It also supports whole bag nicely.

Runningliner13

chopday

Following along..

I tried adding the ROCK BROS Bike Rack Bag Trunk Bag (https://amzn.to/3OwofTU) on top of the Rad Rack that came with the Rad Expand5 and the straps don't align well to keep the bag secure.

I really like the Topeak MTS system and convinced myself to replace the Rad Rack with the Topeak Explorer Rack. I don't know if it will fit or how the fit will be but someone mentioned in a review that it worked on a Radmini.

Runningliner13

I have that and like it

https://amzn.to/3vh1Ouj

Eric7

Just throwing it out there as another idea I have seen. I have not used anything like this so I don't know about the reliability. I saw a picture of multiple zip ties tying tiny oval carabiners to the rack.  The carabiners are not the climbing type but more of the shape of an oval with screw closures for holding keys, for linking up chains.  The carabiners are thin enough for the bag clips.

<Edited to add picture>

Radio Runner

Quote from: Eric7 on April 20, 2022, 07:54:11 AM
Just throwing it out there as another idea I have seen. I have not used anything like this so I don't know about the reliability. I saw a picture of multiple zip ties tying tiny oval carabiners to the rack.  The carabiners are not the climbing type but more of the shape of an oval with screw closures for holding keys, for linking up chains.  The carabiners are thin enough for the bag clips.

I have seen that video as well. Kinda a sloppy solution but you gotta do what'cha gotta do I guess. I wouldn't trust zip ties though. Better would be metal hose clamps to attach the carabiner/links.

RadBod

Having just purchased my first Rad, Rover/Rhino 6+ I also bought the rear rack but refused to pay for 2 panniers when I have 2 perfectly good standard size ones at home. I have since purchased the Vincita Bike Pannier Hardware Kit - to Convert Any Bag Into A Bicycle Pannier Bag - Can Be Used with Rack Diameter Up to 16 mm. Can confirm these fit onto the lower side bars of the Rad rear rack so you can convert anything you wish into a Rad pannier.

https://amzn.to/3kwc4sJ

chopday

I was not able to install the Topeak Explorer rack due to the wide frame of RadExpand 5 - ended up returning it. Was pretty bummed it did not work - was very excited to remove the the Rad Rack and replace with the Topeak MTX system.

Still on the lookout for a solid rear bag that would be a secure fit on the rad rear rack but also easy to detach to carry my camera equipment.

Eric7

Quote from: chopday on April 26, 2022, 12:43:57 PM
I was not able to install the Topeak Explorer rack due to the wide frame of RadExpand 5 - ended up returning it. Was pretty bummed it did not work - was very excited to remove the the Rad Rack and replace with the Topeak MTX system.

Still on the lookout for a solid rear bag that would be a secure fit on the rad rear rack but also easy to detach to carry my camera equipment.

Longtime photographer here.  I would not put camera equipment on any bicycle's rear rack.  All that bouncing is not good for optical alignment no matter how much cushioning and suspension you have.  I find that even if I put a few hardback books and a few pens, after bouncing 6 miles going to school the hardback book cover would be all scratched up.

Hard equipment (watches, cups, bottles, keys, forks, spoons) gets really banged up on a bike ride with all that bumping around.  You have to tie them down really well and one mistake and you will get scratches all over. Even equipment in a backpack.  Walking around school is fine.  But try jogging with a backpack and everything is scratched.  If anyone has some solution, please share it with me.  This has been my experience so I don't do it.

That's just me.  You do what you want and maybe you figured out a solution.

smlmccrmck

I came up with an inexpensive and rather elegant solution to the standard-pannier-bags issue: I hung two 6" eye bolts (1/4" diameter) from the top side of the frame using Rad's predrilled holes and four appropriately sized nuts, then threaded a 10" bolt (3/8" diameter) through the eyeholes of each eye bolt, and then secured the 10" bolt to the eyeholes using appropriate sized nuts an washers.  Total cost: $5.  Time to install: 10 mins. 

chopday

Thanks Eric - appreciate your feedback and will take it into consideration..

My current sunset spot is 2-3 miles away on paved road ..so thought it would not be that bad to carry camera gear in front or rear basket given its already packed inside a padded camera bag.

chopday

Quote from: smlmccrmck on May 01, 2022, 02:42:56 PM
I came up with an inexpensive and rather elegant solution to the standard-pannier-bags issue: I hung two 6" eye bolts (1/4" diameter) from the top side of the frame using Rad's predrilled holes and four appropriately sized nuts, then threaded a 10" bolt (3/8" diameter) through the eyeholes of each eye bolt, and then secured the 10" bolt to the eyeholes using appropriate sized nuts an washers.  Total cost: $5.  Time to install: 10 mins.

Is it possible to post pictures of your modifications - will help visualize your solution better for someone who is not very knowledgeable  8)