Author Topic: rarunner bike throttle cutting power  (Read 5669 times)

ozgurA

• View Profile
rarunner bike throttle cutting power
« on: April 06, 2021, 09:48:30 AM »
I just bought a new one and I think it supposed to move without pedaling on PAS0 mode?

wkindred

• View Profile
Re: rarunner bike throttle cutting power
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 12:58:47 PM »
I just bought a new one and I think it supposed to move without pedaling on PAS0 mode?

no, pedal assist mode 0 is no motor assist - zero power assist even if you pedal.

handlebar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 06:23:27 PM »

On my Radrunner, PAS 0 let me pedal without engaging the motor. The throttle would give me motor power as needed. When I moved the seat aft, I found that I could pedal harder, and I enjoyed it. As much as possible, I pedaled with only the sound of the tires. On a street with motor traffic, I'd use throttle to get up to 20 mph faster. I'd use intermittent throttle on a grade where I couldn't maintain speed with the pedals, and it was available if I wanted to rest.

I switched to the more powerful controller through Bolton. I love the display but regret the fact that if I want a bit of throttle at PAS 0, first I have to switch to PAS 1. Then I go back to PAS 0 to pedal in silence.

ozgurA

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 11:27:50 AM »
Thanks for the answers. This is my first e-bike therefore I have lack of knowledge regarding general e-bike behavior. Let me ask this question first. Does the Radrunner allow riders to go without pedaling only twisting the throttle? If yes then I have a problem. Thanks

handlebar

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 01:30:27 PM »
Thanks for the answers. This is my first e-bike therefore I have lack of knowledge regarding general e-bike behavior. Let me ask this question first. Does the Radrunner allow riders to go without pedaling only twisting the throttle? If yes then I have a problem. Thanks

If you need to pedal for the motor to run, that's Class i. Adding a throttle makes it Class II.

I unplugged my throttle cable, about 6" from the throttle. The motor would not run unless I pedaled. I have an aftermarket controller. Somebody else would have to tell you if it would also work with the stock controller.

mtngrl

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 03:24:14 PM »
If you just bought it you should consider calling the support folks at Rad. They are awesome and will probably be able to help you more quickly than posting here!

ozgurA

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 07:39:40 AM »
Here is the answer from Radpowerbike EU, thanks.

"You have probably informed that Throttle can go full speed, and that is true but here in EU we call that Twist Power Assist.
Twist Power Assist on the European versions of the bikes is limited to 6 km/h. This means the Twist Power Assist on your bike will serve a walk assist function, or to give you a boost when you are starting off. This limitation is done so that the bike can be categorized as a standard e-bike throughout Europe, and does not require any registration or insurance."

handlebar

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2021, 04:12:26 AM »

"You have probably informed that Throttle can go full speed, and that is true but here in EU we call that Twist Power Assist.
Twist Power Assist on the European versions of the bikes is limited to 6 km/h. This means the Twist Power Assist on your bike will serve a walk assist function, or to give you a boost when you are starting off. This limitation is done so that the bike can be categorized as a standard e-bike throughout Europe, and does not require any registration or insurance."

I didn't know about Twist Power Assist, but I have noted that my aftermarket controller can be programmed to limit the throttle to 6 km/h. It makes sense. I like a bit of throttle to get started. I have a shortcut across a grassy drainage ditch. Twist Power Assist would help me walk the bike up the bank.

Tony

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2021, 05:44:46 AM »

Yeah, that sounds correct for an EU version.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2021, 05:44:46 AM »