News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Failed Controllers on Rad City 5+

Started by cscarlson3@gmail.com, October 03, 2023, 05:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

cscarlson3@gmail.com

Help Needed!
I own and love(d) a rad city 5+. It is 18 months old. Had the usual problems, and loved the bike.
BUT . . .
After one year, the controller failed, confirmed by diagnosis under guidance from rad tech support. Replaced the controller. After only 6 more months, the new controller failed.
I'm hesitant to buy another controller from Rad. Pricey, and no way to know if it will fail again.
Rad customer support (no way to talk with Rad tech support) says, sorry your out of warranty. No explanation for why two controllers fail. No confidence that a third controller will work any better.
Any advice is welcome and appreciated.
Carl

inoxa

Area 13 may have the updated controller in stock. 

Did you upgrade your headlight?  That can burn controllers out if they have too much current.

cscarlson3@gmail.com

Thanks for the suggestions, Inoxa.
How do I check out Area 13?
Where can I learn about headlight upgrade?
Sorry for the newbie questions. I'll search the site, if that's the best way.
Carl

JimInPT

Quote from: inoxa on October 04, 2023, 03:12:28 PMDid you upgrade your headlight?  That can burn controllers out if they have too much current.

Both Area13 and Electrobikeworld have not only confirmed this to me when I asked, but they also said the 35A controllers will burn out eventually with just the Rad "premium" headlight in place - they can't even handle that.  This is the first truly-negative bit of data I've ever heard about these controllers, and love mine, but I almost never turn on the headlight or ride after dark; I use a Planet Bike 800-lumen on the handlebars, mostly in slow-strobe mode for daytime visibility.  It's also great after dark, with a wide and bright beam pattern   So I think I may have dodged a fried-controller bullet unknowingly.

Even the Rad "premium" headlight sucks hard, so I replace it with one of these, but now I have to remove it and go back to the truly-shitty stock light to have in case of emergency need.  That sucks.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234738995390

Apparently these are fine with the stock controller; that's the ONLY reason to recommend not upgrading to 35A IMHO.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

inoxa

Quote from: cscarlson3@gmail.com on October 04, 2023, 05:57:52 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, Inoxa.
How do I check out Area 13?
Where can I learn about headlight upgrade?
Sorry for the newbie questions. I'll search the site, if that's the best way.
Carl

No problem that's what the forum is for.

area13ebikes.com

The post before this spoke of the headlights. 

Good luck

cscarlson3@gmail.com

I really appreciate learning the probable reason for my Rad controller failing. I have one question and then I can take action to fix the problem. My question is How do I know if my failed controller is version 35A? The order sheet only says "Controller - RadCity 5 Plus ST" Rad tech support (Chat) is not able to tell me the specs of my controller.
Thanks again for your help.
Carl

inoxa

If it stock RAD part, then it is a 25 amp.

Radding Along

City 5+ and Rover 6+ controllers should never be installed with their installation screws. Buy a Rad controller and don?t use the two screws bolting it to the frame. You should have no more issues after that.

For those that have one of those models and haven?t had a controller issue yet, do yourself a favor and remove those screws.

bigthumbbob

"don?t use the two screws bolting it to the frame" IF you don't use those 2 screws, what are you supposed to use..shorter screws?