News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

True 750w motor upgrade on RadCity 5

Started by Slowrider, July 15, 2022, 10:07:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Slowrider

Well the warranty on my RadCity 5 is going to run out in a few months so I figure it's time to prepare for upgrades.  The first part actually came in sooner than I expected.  I was expecting a two month wait.

It's the "true 750 watt" Befang motor.  I've seen quite a few videos showing this going on a RadRover 6 but I don't think I've seen one for the RadCity 5.  Of course I know I have to take it out of the casing but has anyone here upgraded the motor on their RadCity 5?  The hub looks a little different but I hope there are no issues with it fitting.

Will there be any difference in power or noise with everything else stock?

I couldn't figure out how to insert a photo so I attached it

rjp

Look at where the electrical wires comes out of the motors. Are they both coming out of the motors in the same place. If not it won't work. I haven't seen where anyone has swapped out motors on the new plus models yet.

Altema

The photo appears to be corrupted. I downloaded it twice and several different photo apps state it can't be opened.

rjp

JimInPT

FWIW, that JPG opens fine for me with the regular old Windows Photo Viewer.  Weird.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

rjp

Slowrider, are the wire positions coming out of the motors the same?

Slowrider

No the motors are completely different.  I guess it's another thing they changed when they went to the semi integrated battery.  On my RadCity 5 the wire is coming out on the left side by the brake rotor.  It seems on the motor I bought the wire comes out on the opposite side of the brake rotor.  The plug is a similar size but it's different.  Also the axle where it bolts to the bike is longer.

Why would I be surprised that the e-bike world is any different than the regular bike world when it comes to standardization... There is none 🤣

I kind of figured this would happen so I was looking into buying an 15A sinewave controller and screen for my Lectric XP Lite because the pedal assist on the stock controller kind of sucks.  Of course after I ordered it on AliExpress the seller messages me saying they're out of that one and not getting more.  I'm batting 0 for 2 so maybe this is my hint to ride them as they are 🤣