News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Slight misgivings about buying 5 City Plus step-through

Started by jastewart325, March 07, 2022, 08:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

jastewart325

I am very close to buying a 5 City Plus step-through. I took a short test ride for the first time today (I'm in Seattle) and am quite excited. My misgivings are as follows:

• The test-ride woman nicely let me try to load it into the back of my Subaru Forester. She helped me remove the front wheel, then I hoisted it up. It jammed a bit because it was vertical, but I think it is doable with adequate planning. However, it was anything but easy (I'm 71 years old and have lost muscle mass). The test-ride bike had a different saddle without the handle--does that help much? Also, I did not remove the battery.
  • I have read a number of reviews that fault the small lefthand display for not being bright enough in sunlight; I had a little trouble reading it even on a cloudy day. Any thoughts? Is that the only way to determine the assist level?
  • Re: security. Is the Arbus (?) wheel lock that Rad sells useful, at least for brief in-and-out errands? Does anyone use concealed Apple Air Tags?

Thanks in advance,
    John

lonelocust

•I love my Rad City 5, and I'd buy it again, but it is a beast to lift. If I had to lift it often, that might be an issue.  It's not just that you're lifting a 50lb sack of flour, bikes can also be unwieldy.

•The display on the left is very difficult to see on sunny days, although the PAS level is the easiest to read on it. I think it's far worse than the online reviews that tend to give it a pass and say, "it's a little hard to read."  It's nearly impossible to read at times, and the battery indicator might as well not be there, it's so hard to see.

•There's a company (probably more than one) making AirTag holders for either under the seat or under a water bottle cage, easily found on Amazon. I have one, and luckily never needed it. (Knock on wood). It's fairly well concealed and offers a bit peace of mind.

•I do have the abus frame lock, and the accessory chain, but I would be nervous if it were locked up out of my direct line if sight for more than a couple minutes. The Rad City draws a LOT of attention. (I've added an abus folding lock, too. I'm paranoid.)

It really is a delight to ride, and you've done well to put your finger of some points that might be areas of concern.

I would make sure your insurance covers it, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NaturallyRC

Sounds like you've ruled out the mini, and I wonder why. It folds up for hoisting/sliding into the back of your car, and also comes as a step thru.

Quote from: jastewart325 on March 07, 2022, 08:05:15 PM
I am very close to buying a 5 City Plus step-through. I took a short test ride for the first time today (I'm in Seattle) and am quite excited. My misgivings are as follows:

• The test-ride woman nicely let me try to load it into the back of my Subaru Forester. She helped me remove the front wheel, then I hoisted it up. It jammed a bit because it was vertical, but I think it is doable with adequate planning. However, it was anything but easy (I'm 71 years old and have lost muscle mass). The test-ride bike had a different saddle without the handle--does that help much? Also, I did not remove the battery.
  • I have read a number of reviews that fault the small lefthand display for not being bright enough in sunlight; I had a little trouble reading it even on a cloudy day. Any thoughts? Is that the only way to determine the assist level?
  • Re: security. Is the Arbus (?) wheel lock that Rad sells useful, at least for brief in-and-out errands? Does anyone use concealed Apple Air Tags?

Thanks in advance,
    John

SemperVee

I have been lusting over the city 5 also after having a city 3 and now LOVE my mini 4 but now you know why the MINI is so popular!

jastewart325

To address the loading problem I have ordered a small loading ramp:

https://amzn.to/3u7PevL

Thanks for the responses. Any chance Rad would offer a small upgrade on the lefthand display? I think it should be free but I'm willing to pay something.

GoBettyRVA

I have the RadCity 5.....LOVE LOVE LOVE it.  But yes.....eat your Wheaties and work out because it is HEAVY.  That said, still doable just know you may need help lifting if putting on a bike rack. 
I have an air tag....you can buy gadgets to attach and hide them on the bike.  Other forums talk about hiding places.
Lock - Have  a Kryptonite NY lock and the Kryptonite Cable.  Agree you should be paranoid...these are nice looking bikes.  If possible, pop the battery and take it with you.  Bike could be stolen but the batteries are costly and lack of one could be a deterrent.  I take my bike to the store and lock in a visible place with cable and U lock.  If I take it to my new job, despite they have a bike lock up cage, I may pop and take the battery with me into the office anyway. 
Display - On a sunny day I haven't had too much of an issue seeing it.  It definitely is not a deal killer to not see it well.  The bike is fabulous regardless. 

My biggest wish is they would have a QR code sticker to put on the bike so anyone who's interested could just scan and go to the site for that specific bike.