News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Battery Rescue needed!!

Started by paulcstaley, March 05, 2022, 07:51:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

paulcstaley

I have a RR6+ that I purchased last October. Today it appears that I screwed up either the battery itself or perhaps just the BMS. After a long afternoon of riding, which obviously left me a tad bit spacey, I went to take the battery off the bike. I mistakenly touched the key to the charging port instead of the keyway. The rubber flap on the charge port has never sealed correctly, so as usual, it left the port open to the world. Without thinking I touched it with the key, thinking it was the keyway. Yikes! I got a noticeable spark but nothing else. Now, after being on the charger for 2 hours, the charge indicator lights on the battery itself have not changed from the 4 bars that I had when the battery was removed. Neither the battery or the charger has warmed up, not even a little bit. The charger shows a steady green charging light. Unplugging and re-plugging the battery and charger makes no difference.

Does anyone know if there is a way to "reset" the BMS? Or anything else I might try to get the battery to recognize the charger? Has anyone any experience with replacing the BMS itself? I am assuming that it is located within the battery case.

I am sure hoping and praying that a knowledgeable user here will have some suggestions, besides the obvious one of buying a new battery.

Thanks for reading this and watch your battery removal process carefully after future rides!

bruntoj

There's a thread on here showing dissembling the battery to get at the fuses.  The fuses are easily available auto types. Worth a shit before you pay another $500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bruntoj

paulcstaley

Thanks for the info. I will look for the post re fuse replacement. The "tapatalk" link you posted did not work for me. Do you have another link I could try?

paulcstaley

I just did this fuse replacement and now the battery is charging again! I would like to add one thing to the instructions in the link above. Just to the right of the fuse is the flat ribbon that conveys the battery state to the exterior indicator lights. Without knowing it was there I cut through it completely! Now those lights no longer work. I hope that is the only downside to cutting the ribbon. So, keep the cut to expose the fuse to the smallest possible size.