News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

diy battery on stock radwagon electrics disabled usb

Started by ejonesss, June 04, 2021, 12:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

ejonesss

i connected a 12s battery module from a chevy volt to the radwagon (stock electrics (display, controller and motor)) using

https://boltonebikes.com/collections/electrical-accessories/products/radpower-battery-adapter

witch allows after market batteries using xt90 connectors to be used on rad bikes.

while everything works perfectly the usb port on the display does not work.

i was wondering is there some signal being modulated over the power from the battery to tell the display to disable the usb port or is it that rad display detected 1 bar used on the battery meter due to the fact that the battery i am using is only 12s instead of 13s so to conserve the battery it disables the port or did i blow the dc to dc converter by the inrush spark (before i made up the anti spark adaptor to go inline between the battery and the controller)?

fortunately i have a power bank so i was able to charge my phone while on yard sale runs and i am willing to use a power bank if rad disables the port.

ejonesss

update:  after some investigation the usb is not disabled or blown it happens that if nothing is connected to save on energy king display and rad turns off the usb port unless you connect something with the bike off and then turn on the bike by witch point then the port works.

it looks like king display and rad just like the auto industry thinks they can "squeeze blood from a rock" and turns off certaing things to save energy just like the auto industry does by ommitting the spare tire or the jack or changing the power steering from hydraulics to electric to save milage

so whew!!! i thought the. port was broken

Altema

The Rad display does not turn on power to the USB if nothing is plugged in when it boots up. It saves a few microamps, which is good if you leave your bike turned on overnight, but it's terribly inconvenient of you want to plug something in while riding. On the positive side, the Rad USB port delivers more power than the 0.6 amp output of the Bolton controller display. The Cycle Analyst display has no USB port at all, so I replaced my handlebar extension with a cylindrical power bank.