News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

FYI Short Riders: Rad Step-Thru Bike Minimum Seat Heights

Started by Gatheringtree, February 11, 2021, 09:57:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Gatheringtree

My 4'-11" tall sweetheart with severe knee arthritis did not want to hop off the saddle at every stop. She insisted I find a bike that allow her to put her feet on the ground while sitting at a standstill on the bike. This measurement on Rad Step-Thru bikes is not found anywhere. Even Rad Power Bike representatives cannot tell you the answer. They only know the measurement from minimum saddle height to the lowest pedal (a more meaningful measurement for anatomically correct bike riding).

So, for all you short riders who still want know what the minimum seat height to the ground is for whatever reason, I offer these pictures of measurements I took:

The RadCity Step-Thru has the shortest minimum seat height to the ground at 28 3/4"
The RadMini Step-Thru measures 29 1/2" minimum seat height to the ground, making it 3/4" taller from the ground than the RadCity ST.
The RadRunner was significantly higher than these other two and my baby could not sit on it at a standstill, so I didn't get a measurement.

Although it may seem that shorter tires make the minimum seat height shorter to the ground, they really do not when it comes to bikes of different frame design.

The RadRover Step-Thru was the tallest bike they brought out (for me to test ride). The factory saddle at minimum height measures 33 3/16" to the ground.

FYI: my RadRover5 equipped with the Bikeroo Oversized Comfort saddle, the minimum seat height to the ground is 33 5/8". I did not measure it with the factory saddle, but it is said that the RadRover Step-Thru is the same frame as the RadRover5 except for the step-thru part of the frame.

Yeah, I realize seat height to the ground is the least important measurement because the seat will most likely raised up in order to achieve an anatomically correct position when peddling. But there are those who for whatever reason insist on reaching the ground at stops while remaining in the saddle (a convenience that taller riders take for granted).  This is only an FYI post to offer geometry measurements not found anywhere else.

Altema

These are valuable measurements, and I'm sure many people will appreciate the effort. My wife is 5' 1", but I have yet to convince her to get an e-bike of her own. Persons who are riding with a passenger or cargo, or in snowy conditions may also find this useful. Since my bike is inside the house, and the original seat and post are handy, I'll add those measurements as well.

RadMini 4 (2020 version) minimum seat height to the ground is 30 1/2".

Note that my seat post meets some resistance just before bottoming out, right at the weld joining the seat post tube and the downtube. However, I was able to get past this point without much effort, and without damaging the seat post. I assume this was caused by the weld distorting the inside surface a bit, and the ability to go lower than this point may be affected by manufacturing tolerances. If your particular RadMini 4 seat post stops at the weld, the dimension will be one inch taller at 31 1/2".

SemperVee

MY S/O is 4 10 and rides both a RAD Mini ST and also has a City 3 ST with no issues.  This is a confidence issue more than anything else.

RobPHX

To add to this thread here are the minimum seat height for the RadRover6 Plus step thru.