Author Topic: Radrunner 1 or plus kickstand question  (Read 7088 times)

Mobed

• View Profile
Radrunner 1 or plus kickstand question
« on: October 07, 2020, 07:38:24 AM »
Hello all first post need some help. Looking for my first ebike.

I see they changed the kickstand on the plus to a more traditional style. Initially I really like the original style as it looks to secure the bike on it own. I did read a review that though the original kickstand was heavy and causes clearance issues.  My question is if you own the radrunner 1/plus whats your opinion of the kickstand?

Bob Mc

• View Profile
Re: Radrunner 1 or plus kickstand question
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2020, 10:49:02 AM »
Howdy, I have the Runner 1 and really like the center stand for when I load the back rack. It is a bit more work than a side stand cuz you have to lift the bike a bit to get the centerstand  down. I also had to lengthen the arms 1 1/2 inches when I put on the front shock absorber forks. If you plan on carrying loads the centerstand makes loading more stable. It probably is a little heavier, but so are the loads I carry and that is why I like electricity. I have not had clearance problems, the centerstand is no wider than the bike and has not dragged in any of my off road riding.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 05:43:55 PM »
I do enjoy being able to sit on the Runner with the wide kickstand making it well balanced. But I seem to bang rocks or even curbs with the kickstand, it is a little lower then the skid plate on the controller. I also have to lay the bike on its side to load into my truck with canopy and the kickstand always gets hung up on something.

I still love the runner and find it somewhat humorous that the skid plate is protect by the kickstand. It is built pretty tough so no real problem. I prefer the the wide stance.

sc00ter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 06:36:58 PM »
I have a RadRunner 1 and love the center stand, but I own motor scooters so the center stand is second nature. Yeah, it tends to sit kinda low so you have to be aware of curb height. But it seems well built and it makes loading my trunk easy.

Mobed

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 07:51:06 PM »
Thank you everyone. Great information. I kinda feel like the mini might be a better buy for me. I’m a loser on center storage but rear rack might be all I really need. Thank you. I'm all over the place i know.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 05:25:46 AM by Mobed »

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 02:51:47 PM »
Thank you everyone. Great information. I kinda feel like the mini might be a better buy for me. I’m a loser on center storage but rear rack might be all I really need. Thank you. I'm all over the place i know.
Rad makes front and rear racks for the Mini, plus cargo platforms, bags, and baskets that bolt right to the rack and look like mini shark cages  ;)
You can also fit aftermarket racks, and although many of them say they are not compatible with folding bikes, I've been using a rack from West Biking that works very well on my RadMini 4.

Hope this helps!

Mary

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2020, 12:18:13 AM »
Hello I have the same proplem with my Kickstand being to short after adding front Suspension. How did you add to length of your Kickstand? How did you make it work? Thanks

Bob Mc

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2020, 01:14:27 PM »
Hello I have the same proplem with my Kickstand being to short after adding front Suspension. How did you add to length of your Kickstand? How did you make it work? Thanks
hello, I cut the legs in half, found a thin aluminum pipe that tightly fit over the legs, cut two pieces 1 1/2 inch longer than the legs, slid the pies on, with some JB Weld epoxy glue and also added 4 set screws for overkill. They have worked fine, so far. They stick out about 1/2 wider than the originals but don’t get in the way. I also trimmed the rubber stop so the kickstand would close a little higher.

wkindred

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2020, 08:26:02 AM »

i had my son tack-weld large steel nuts to the bottom of kickstand legs. works great!

Count

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2020, 02:17:24 PM »
I installed a Bolton suspension front end, and had the same issue.  i solved the problem elegantly and cheaply.  Get some perforated square metal tubing, and cut a length about 3-4".  You need to file the outside dimensions about 1/128 on all 4 sides to fit perfectly in the little detente where the kick stand base goes.  Run the same diameter but longer stainless bolt through the frame and tubing, then center stand hole and install as usual, with the tubing as a spacer.  Drill a self tapping screw on each side of the mounting plate to keep it from spinning, and it works perfectly.  Paint and install!

« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 02:22:51 PM by Count »

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2020, 02:17:24 PM »