News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Rad Runner Mods

Started by Bob Mc, August 12, 2020, 08:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

massassi

Andy Finney

I can't believe that were not using the built-in compliment here...That's RAD!

massassi

Quote from: Andy Finney on September 30, 2020, 09:54:16 AM
I can't believe that were not using the built-in compliment here...That's RAD!

Groan ...but you are correct

Count

YOU, Sir, have a sharp eye!  Funny thing is, it was mounted on the bike that way when i bought it (I bought from a bike shop, assembled)!  I never have looked at it critically, and I can now see it is definitely backwards!  I have been wondering why I am getting some splashes when I go through puddles!  The first thing I am going to do tonight is to look into that!  If I can flip it easily enough I will!    Thanks!

Quote from: wkindred on September 30, 2020, 06:24:42 AM

count -

i noticed you mounted the front fender backwards, was this due to the fender support spacing?

Count

Thanks!  What may not be apparent is that I also have an independent throttle controlled 1000w hub motor on front, (New, not in the photos), and am finishing up the installation of 7 speed gear shift ability.  It is a one of a kind.  I LOVE my RadRunner, largely because it is so customizeable, and is build so solid.  With ALL of my modifications, I have not had to drill a single hole in any part of the frame or cut anything, which is a real tribute to the basic design and construction!  If I had to choose my favorite single customization, it would be the seat!  Being sprung makes it SOO much more comfortable to ride!

Quote from: Ryan on September 29, 2020, 06:44:35 PM
Well I think you win the award for most unique looking RadRunner. Thanks for sharing.

wkindred

count -

another inquiry...how long are the 2 aluminum spacers you fabricated for the front brake caliper mount?

thanks again!

- will

Bob Mc

Howdy, I just installed the Bolton forks also. I used 1/2 inch brass spacers. So far the brakes work well. The forks are fantastic, compare a Jeep to a limo on a washboard gravel road. The fender struts required a lot of bending to fit to the fork holes.

Jman

For those that have successfully installed a Bolton suspension fork on a Radrunner, can you go over the process in a bit of detail?  I'm sure there are many of us that would love to do this mod, myself included. ;D

Jman

I've just read Rad Power will sell you the Radrunner Plus suspension fork for $150.  Might be worth looking into for anyone wanting to do that mod.

wkindred

sadly, the radrunner plus suspension fork availability rumor is just that, rumor. spoke with kharis goldman at rad power bikes. the radrunner plus suspension fork is not compatible with the radrunner 1 and is not being sold separately -

"Hey Will,

Thanks for reaching out! The RadRunner 1 ebike was designed with a rigid front fork, which is what we've tested and approved under warranty. We actually had to change the design of the RadRunner Plus slightly, in order to accommodate that suspension front fork without the front wheel hitting the frame.

Therefore, the suspension front fork of the RadRunner Plus is not compatible with the RadRunner 1's frame, even though they look very similar. Also, the suspension front fork is not sold separately from the ebike.

Hope this provides some clarification, and let us know if you have further questions! You can also check out our Help Center in the meantime, as it can be a great resource.

Best,

Kharis Goldman
Rad Power Bikes
Customer Experience Associate"

:-\

Jman

I've just found out that the person who claimed that Rad will sell the fork was the person that purchased it from Rad themselves. He thinks they sold it to him because he owns a Radrunner Plus and a Radruner.  He know's it might not fit but will try it anyways.  Guess we'll find out.

Bob Mc

For Jman
Here is a step by step of my installing the Bolton forks.
1. The forks arrived with only the forks in the box, no instructions, measurements or anything, no air pressure recommendation. Bolton sells an installation package but are out of stock.
2. You need a star nut to screw in the top bolt into the stem. Amazon has a set of 5 for $7. I didn't have the patience (two days) so I took the old one out of the stock fork. Unless you have a few tools it isn't recommended. I had to file off a weld at the bottom of the stem to drive the star nut down through it. In driving the star nut down it compresses it and you have to expand it once you get it out so it will fit tightly into the new stem.
3. The new fork stem is 2 1/8 inches shorter than the old one, scary at first. But the new one fits in the bike frame perfectly without the conical spacer (surprisingly 2 1/8 inches).
4. I took off the old lower bearing race from the stock fork and put it on the new fork. The fork stem was just right, maybe a hair smaller diameter stem than the old fork.
5. Put in the new fork, put on the handle bars, used the original bolt that holds it in.
6. So the fork is in place but the brake pads holder need 1/2 inch spacers between the fork and brake pad holder to locate the pads in center of the rotor. You need new bolts to hold it on.
    Luckily I had some bolts I could cut to fit (I'm a professional scrounger).
7. My brake cable fit. Someone in this feed said they had to buy a longer one.
8. I bought the fenders from Rad and had to really adjust the struts to get them to line up with the threads on the new fork. See my previous picture.
9. With a longer fork the center stand doesn't reach the floor. It needs to be 1 1/2 inches longer. After much thought, and without a welder, I decided to cut the center stand about in
    half. From a previous scrounge I luckily had stainless steel pipe that snuggly fit over the legs. I cut two pipes long enough to slide over the legs, adding 1 1/2 inch in length. four set
    screws keep it all together. The extra length makes the center stand stick out a little more, so far it isn't a problem. If they do drag sometime I may heat them up and squeeze them
    tighter.
I hope this helps.

Jman

Thank you Bob Mc, That will come in handy when I need to do that mod to mine!

dan26ntn

I've been looking around for a bit , trying to pin down a well made suspension fork for the RadRunner , and I did see the Bolton fork, but there is also an RST Guide 20 . Is there a reason that one wouldn't fit? I believe Bitrix sells them at around $250 USD  and https://classic-cycle.com/all/3064/204-suspension-fork-rst-guide-20-zoll-tnl-fatbike-1-1/8-ahead-for-disc-brake  . I don't know enough about the different details to know if it would be a better quality and fit than Boltons option.

wkindred

Quote from: dan26ntn on October 06, 2020, 09:41:48 PM
I've been looking around for a bit , trying to pin down a well made suspension fork for the RadRunner , and I did see the Bolton fork, but there is also an RST Guide 20 . Is there a reason that one wouldn't fit? I believe Bitrix sells them at around $250 USD  and https://classic-cycle.com/all/3064/204-suspension-fork-rst-guide-20-zoll-tnl-fatbike-1-1/8-ahead-for-disc-brake  . I don't know enough about the different details to know if it would be a better quality and fit than Boltons option.

hmmmm...specs make it appear to be a good and viable option -

Steerer length: 260 mm

Steerer diameter / stem width: 28,6 mm

Steerer daiemeter at cone seat: 30 mm

Installation hight: 420 mm

For Hub width: 135 mm

Travel: 45 mm

Ssytem: Coil in left stanchion

Damping: Oil in right stanchion