Author Topic: RadRunner 1 - Delicate tires  (Read 10508 times)

rookervt

• View Profile
RadRunner 1 - Delicate tires
« on: June 22, 2020, 08:11:00 AM »
I've had my RadRunner for 3 weeks now and have already experienced two flat tires on the rear. Both have occurred while riding on very popular local rail-trails - one gravel/cinder, the other tarred. The first flat was an old nail - not much you can do about that. The second, though, was a small wire - about the thickness of a standard office staple. I thought these tires would be tougher than this.
What are others experiencing? Are there any mitigation strategies I can employ to help? With the non-standard tire size, it seems my options are limited.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: RadRunner 1 - Delicate tires
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 05:48:21 PM »
It does seem odd. We have over 3400 miles on our RadWagon and have yet to get a flat. Check out the Tires/Tire parts section of my accessories list. Get some Tuffy liners and/or Slime. I would imagine you could cut the Tuffy liners to length but to be honest I don't have personal experience since we've never had issues: https://www.radowners.com/index.php/topic,104.0.html

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 08:15:18 PM »
Try dropping the tire pressure to about 25 psi. Smother ride and less likely to be punctured. I’ve had the runner since March and no punctures yet (knock on wood).

stain007

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2020, 08:07:39 AM »
I have had 1 flat and at the time I had trouble finding a replacement and Rad takes you to the cleaners on tubes.  A tube from Rad is $15 and then shipping is $12.  If you buy more than 1 it is still $12 per tube.  $27 per tube is a lot of $$.  Look for cheaper options on Amazon and stock up.  25 PSI is a good idea

RadJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 10:15:28 PM »
I just put a stick through the tread of a "puncture resistant" Kenda K-Rad  20 x 3.3" tire, riding in the woods,  15 miles from home, and now I'm WAY more impressed with the capabilities of Park TB-2 Emergency Tire Boots and GP-2 Super Patches (multiples!) than I am with the tires, but I can reveal the inner belting of those Kendas is sheathed in a really pretty shade of green rubber, but once you see it, you're screwed.

Bob Mc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2020, 11:09:51 AM »
I’ve had two goat head flats, Center of the tire, only 5mm long.

Dan B

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2020, 12:44:50 PM »
On the Radrover, can u use any 26 x 4 inner tube with correct valve stem or is a Rad tube something special??

Jman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 12:42:37 AM »
Delicate indeed, a 1/8 inch twig went straight through mine.

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2020, 08:09:07 PM »
On the Radrover, can u use any 26 x 4 inner tube with correct valve stem or is a Rad tube something special??

Any tube will do! I just added some Mongoose ones to the accessories list though perhaps you can find some cheaper: https://ebikeescape.com/electric-bike-accessories/

The kicker on the ones Rad sells is the shipping (usually $10).

petern

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2020, 02:56:48 PM »
We have had our RadRunners for two months now and are happy with them, EXCEPT we have incurred three flats in the last week. One nail, one tack, and a thorn. The tires are supposedly "Puncture Resistant". The first flat we were 17 miles from home and I had to pay $280 for a tow truck to come get us. After doing some research the next morning I read about Slime Tube Sealant. Called my local hardware store, they had a bottle. I followed the instructions and a YouTube video and fixed the tube/tire in about 10 minutes and the tire has held its air ever since. The stuff is amazing. So I went out and bought 4 bottles, we carry two on each bike. The next two flats I repaired while we were on the road. I recommend that every RadRunner owner carry two 8 ounce bottles (or one 16oz, it takes 8 oz to fill a RadRunner tube), a pair of pliers (to remove nail, etc., I carry a small Leatherman multi-tool) and a hand pump with them at all times. No more flats, or at least a sure-fire way to fix them quickly.

Ryan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2020, 06:55:42 PM »
We have had our RadRunners for two months now and are happy with them, EXCEPT we have incurred three flats in the last week. One nail, one tack, and a thorn. The tires are supposedly "Puncture Resistant". The first flat we were 17 miles from home and I had to pay $280 for a tow truck to come get us. After doing some research the next morning I read about Slime Tube Sealant. Called my local hardware store, they had a bottle. I followed the instructions and a YouTube video and fixed the tube/tire in about 10 minutes and the tire has held its air ever since. The stuff is amazing. So I went out and bought 4 bottles, we carry two on each bike. The next two flats I repaired while we were on the road. I recommend that every RadRunner owner carry two 8 ounce bottles (or one 16oz, it takes 8 oz to fill a RadRunner tube), a pair of pliers (to remove nail, etc., I carry a small Leatherman multi-tool) and a hand pump with them at all times. No more flats, or at least a sure-fire way to fix them quickly.

Have you tried a patch kit to try and save the tubes? I know some people have trouble with flats but over 3,500 miles on our RadWagon and I have still yet to put in a new tube. Original tires and these don't have the enhanced protection like the more recent models have.

how

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2020, 01:22:07 PM »
Not sure about the rad runner (because I have the Rad rover) but Tannus armor protection offers a 15mm foam spacing between the tire and the innertube so only something longer than 15mm can cause a flat.

Jman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2020, 04:23:17 PM »
Can't use Tannus armor on the Radrunner since they don't make that size yet.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2020, 04:23:17 PM »