Author Topic: MIK carrier plate for RADmini rear rack  (Read 4440 times)

DoCi

• View Profile
MIK carrier plate for RADmini rear rack
« on: March 24, 2021, 04:34:00 PM »
We have installed the RADmini rear rack but would also like to use the Topeak rear basket that we already have. Ideally, the expensive MRI-Denver adapter can fit our need but it is out of stock forever and no one knows when it will be back. Cascade Manufacturing produces a similar item but unfortunately it does not fit with the Topeak rear basket. We came across to MIK carrier system and thought it might be an option. Has anyone tried this adapter yet to the RADmini rear rack?

Thank you.

sc00ter

• View Profile
Re: MIK carrier plate for RADmini rear rack
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2021, 08:42:07 PM »
I have a older yellow latch rear Topeak basket and was told the Cascade plate would not work. Something about rail spacing. I was on the Denver site and they had them in stock, briefly. When I went back to order one a few days later (yes, I hesitated) they were sold out again. And forget the Topeak Omni Quicktrack adapter. I even checked all the local shops and they say they've never had them in stock! If I stumble across either 3 options I'll shoot ya a PM.

Tony

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2021, 01:47:54 AM »
I have the MIK. a bit fiddly to fit on the rad but once on, it works good for a quick swap of bag/box

wkindred

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2021, 05:42:58 AM »
I have a older yellow latch rear Topeak basket and was told the Cascade plate would not work. Something about rail spacing. I was on the Denver site and they had them in stock, briefly. When I went back to order one a few days later (yes, I hesitated) they were sold out again. And forget the Topeak Omni Quicktrack adapter. I even checked all the local shops and they say they've never had them in stock! If I stumble across either 3 options I'll shoot ya a PM.

the cascade adapter will work, however the extremely poor finish of the cascade product's rails will cause major wear to the topeak bag and basket's adapter - would not recommend!

see my review and photos of cascade product here - https://www.radowners.com/index.php?topic=358.msg3531#msg3531
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 05:47:00 AM by wkindred »

sc00ter

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2021, 09:44:40 PM »
I don't learn quickly or listen sometimes, but I just ordered the "redesigned" Cascade Topeak plate. The one wkindred gave a bad review. I guess I'll see when mine arrives. Wonder if they (Cascade) really did redesign it? I actually ordered it for the 'Mini. I'll let the new owner test it. I still have my SHAD motorcycle trunk on my 'Runner but I would like a bit more flexibility.

wkindred

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2021, 06:48:45 AM »
I don't learn quickly or listen sometimes, but I just ordered the "redesigned" Cascade Topeak plate. The one wkindred gave a bad review. I guess I'll see when mine arrives. Wonder if they (Cascade) really did redesign it? I actually ordered it for the 'Mini. I'll let the new owner test it. I still have my SHAD motorcycle trunk on my 'Runner but I would like a bit more flexibility.

good luck! hopefully the quality of the "redesigned" model is better than the version 1 that i had reviewed (https://www.radowners.com/index.php?topic=358.msg3531#msg3531).

i really wanted to like and use the cascade product but the quality of version 1 was sub-standard...at best.

the "redesigned" model does, in fact, look redesigned. (see comparison photo - multi-piece version 1 on the left, "redesigned" one-piece version on the right).

may still order a redesigned plate...but i'll wait until i see your review(s).
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 01:10:37 PM by wkindred »

DoCi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 06:58:23 PM »
I decided to use MIK system with my Topeak rear basket and they work super well. You need to buy MIK carrier plate that is installed on the rear rack and MIK adapter plate that is installed on the basket. I’ve got both from Amazon which total costs $55, and there is no waiting. As there is about a 2 inch thickness of the both plates, I can fit my Rad pannier bag and the Topeak rear basket all on the rear rack. See photo.

sc00ter

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 02:37:07 PM »
I ordered the "new/redesigned" Cascade Topeak base and a brand new Topeak folding basket didn't lock into the Cascade base. I had to hacksaw a section of the clip off the Topeak folding basket. So be aware of this if you go this route.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 02:37:07 PM »