News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Rad Rover Suddenly has no power reboot fixes it

Started by sk2979, May 09, 2022, 09:46:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

sk2979

Hello I'm wondering if anyone has had the same issue as me with their Rad bike. Sporadically I will lose power while riding. I learned to fix it by resetting my PAS to "0" then it will regain power. This works every time. Its like I'm rebooting it. I have reported this to Rad and they sent me a new computor module which I replaced. That seemed to make it happen less often but it still occures.Any one have experience with this?

santacruzpaul

I have had issues with the same stuff you have going on, Rad support is great, But my issue has not been resolved after 11 months, My problem is that things shut down about every 10 miles or so. Exact response as putting on the brakes, BUT, All I have to do is touch a brake lever, And all is back to normal, They wanted to send me a Brand new Radrover 5 , But  I declined, Because I am married to this one, I have it dialed in with ALL accessories. Rad will take care of you with any problems you might have in my experience with them.
Paul

There might be some helpful info here.
https://www.radowners.com/index.php?topic=1923.msg9896#msg9896

sk2979

Thanks Paul. Unfortunatley the brake tapping option doesn't work with mine. Hopefully someone else will post

rjp

I have had that same problem for just about a year now. Since new May 18th 2021 on my Rad Rover ST2. My fix has been when it happens, I pedal backwards a couple revolutions and then forward again and it takes right off. Try that next time it happens and let me know if that fixes it. Reply to this add again. Thanks Russ 

JimInPT

I used to have a problem like that VERY occasionally on my 2021 Rad MiniST, but recently I switched to the Bolton 35A controller and haven't noticed it again.  However, it was a rare occurrence and I don't have enough hours/miles on the new controller so can't be sure it's a permanent fix.  But so far, so good.
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

rjp

I've got the bolton controller on the work bench. Nine  more days and warranty is over and the new controller should fix the problem.

c

When you say computer module do you mean motor controller?  Was this issue ever resolved?

John Rose

(Almost a year old, but what the heck.)
Quote from: sk2979 on May 09, 2022, 09:46:38 AM
... Sporadically I will lose power while riding. I learned to fix it by resetting my PAS to "0" then it will regain power. This works every time. Its like I'm rebooting it. ...
So, the display and headlight stays on, and it just loses power to the motor?
Any difference for pedal assist versus throttle?
RadMini ST 2 / RadExpand 5

John Rose

Quote from: rjp on May 09, 2022, 04:36:14 PM
... My fix has been when it happens, I pedal backwards a couple revolutions and then forward again and it takes right off. ...
That would make me suspect an issue with the cadence sensor, or the magnet ring.
Are (or were, since your post is almost a year old) you able to use the throttle before the fix?
RadMini ST 2 / RadExpand 5

rjp

It worked that way up until I hit 12747 miles on the bike and then the controller quite working. Then I replaced it with it with a Bolton 35 amp controller and problem went away. I now have 15250 miles and bike is running great. I don't know if the throttle worked when that happened or not.