News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Flats are the worst!

Started by sc00ter, January 26, 2021, 11:30:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

sc00ter

So I get a flat on the way to work. Again. This time the tire lost air instantly. I got to push a 'Runner 1 with a rear flat for 4.5 miles. The bead broke off the rim so I had to use the throttle to help get it going. Took me 2 hours. Luckily my work didn't care if I called in sick, and my boss offered to come out and rescue me if needed. So Im not riding the 'Runner till I get some extra flat protection. The government needs to put a $2 deposit on EACH beer bottle and $10 deposit on each hard booze bottle. Would deter the bums from breaking bottles on the side walks and gutters. But I've yet to check what caused the flat. Im gonna try Mr. Tuffy tire liners unless Tannus does a 20" liner for fat tires.

sc00ter

Just got done ordering Mr. Tuffy tan tire liners. I guess we'll find out if they work or not. Always had good luck with them on bmx bikes and my beach cruisers.

sc00ter

So I just got my Mr. Tuffy liners in the mail today. Tan, 3XL, fits 26"/29" x 3.1"-4". I got Covid at the start of the week and don't feel like manhandling it at the moment but will post my results on installing them on 20" wheels.

Loulou718

Good luck! I havent gotten a flat on my 1456 miles and counting radmini tires, but I can't imagine that situation.

Altema

Yes, it's always crown royal or some other hard booze bottle that gets tossed off an overpass, sometimes directly onto the pike path below. Hope your illness is mild and you recover quickly and completely.

Veggyhed

I recently got a huge screw in the back wheel of my mini well I'm the way to receive my second covid vaccine shot. I ended up walking to convenience store locking it up outside and catching an Uber to my vaccine appointment.

I'm in the process of putting in the tan tuffy liners. Not that the liner will prevent the large screw from going through a tire but I also have slime in my wheels. I  bought the tuffy liners quite a while ago but I never put them in because the slime was working so well.

I had never removed the back wheel from my bike and I'm glad that I never tried to do it on the street because it seemed to be a lot tighter than 40 nm.  I ended up using a longer handled socket wrench to remove the nut.

I too am waiting for the tennis armor for 20-in wheels. it's kind of annoying that it's not out there or there's no alternative. However I don't think tannus armor would have prevented the flat but I think you would have been able to ride it home .

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Altema

That back wheel is definitely not 40nm from the factory! The first time I took my back wheel off, I had to get a bigger wrench.

sc00ter

Installed the Tuffy tan liner on the rear wheel. What a floppy liner pain! Here's what I found out and did. The liner is a 29" so when it went around the tube it wrapped over double with a half section left. I put the other liner in and cut it off where it started to overlap. Took the excess and taped it onto the other liner I was installing. So now the rear tire is double puncture lined. Excess, yes. The double layering made it extra annoying to install. I still hate broken glass though.

Veggyhed

Can you feel the double liner while riding the bike? Is it still a smooth ride since the 2nd liner would come up about 2 inches short?

sc00ter

I've yet to re-install the wheel on the 'Runner! But its supposed to be in the 60's soon and I really want to start riding soon. I've done this double liner trick with Tuffys on my road bike and never noticed any adverse effects so I;m assuming Ill not notice it n the 'Runner either. But if I do find any issues I'll post them.

sc00ter

Yes, the 'Runner is back together! That little bout with Covid really made me unmotivated. Avoid the Covid at all cost! But its back together now. Gonna try and ride it this week to work. No rain and not to cold.

Veggyhed

Glad you're doing okay from COVID.
I followed your advice and used double liners on my mini. I have yet to ride cuz I'm doing some other winter maintenance to my bike.

I do know one thing and that is I never want to take that back wheel off on the road. As soon as they have tannus inserts for 20-in wheels I will be upgrading.
Slime has served me very well but does not help with 4-in long screws.

sc00ter

Covid was horrible. I got about 50% of my taste and smell back. Still get winded/short on breath. I feel I did great compared to some people. Anyways, I would love to try the Tannus liners but they never have the 20" fat tire ones in stock. The Tuffys were kinda floppy to install. And yes, flats on the road are no fun! I got mine to work by filling up the tire at every gas station along my route. Once at work I took the 'Runner in the building and fixed it in my office. Luxury compared to being in the wild!

Seth

This happened today! Double locked the bike to a power pole and walked a mile and a half back to my house to get my truck. For those who care, I saw the tannus kit on the rad website today. $143 with inner tubes for the mini 4.

Update, installed the Kenda krusade tires from Rad that actually have a TPI rating of 30 are much tougher tires than the lame CST big boat tires that are flimsy and soft and have no rating that came on the bike. I'm also going to put the Tannus in them when they arrive. Put 16 miles today on the new tires and they are much better.

jbfoster

Quote from: Seth on April 04, 2021, 01:53:50 PM
This happened today! Double locked the bike to a power pole and walked a mile and a half back to my house to get my truck. For those who care, I saw the tannus kit on the rad website today. $143 with inner tubes for the mini 4.

Wow that sucks big time. I've been lucky, so far no flats.

Jim