Author Topic: Tires on new mini  (Read 11266 times)

dmann

• View Profile
Tires on new mini
« on: January 04, 2021, 01:51:30 PM »
Hello all, just put my mini together today and my bike has tires iv never seen on the recent vids or pics on rad site or elsewhere. These look more like a road tire not a nobby type tire at all,
The tires are CST BIG BOATS 76-406
(20x3.00), does anybody know if these
Have the Puncher protection as the new Kenda tires if seen on the Rad website
Which are advertised as being puncher resistant.
 C

Altema

• View Profile
Re: Tires on new mini
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 08:32:32 AM »
Those do seem more like road tires, but they are puncture resistant. They are listed as the new tire for the RadMini on the Rad website, so perhaps it to address the noise issue of the Kenda's.

Veggyhed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 12:48:14 PM »
The tires on the 2020 mini are very loud. I almost would love better street tires but with the way the weather's been here lately those big lugs on the tires have made me feel a little more secure in the snow

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

dmann

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 08:14:08 PM »
Yes i discovered this is what Rad is supplying now, definitely not as aggressive as Kinda tires but i plan on mild trail paths and park trails which tend to be compacted i so hope that they'll do ok, if the trade off is quiet on the road ill take it 👍

Altema

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 11:43:14 AM »
The tires on the 2020 mini are very loud. I almost would love better street tires but with the way the weather's been here lately those big lugs on the tires have made me feel a little more secure in the snow

Fun fact: The Kenda tires with the checkerboard pattern are louder than the motor in PAS level 2! I actually didn't mind it, as some people didn't notice that it was an e-bike even though I rode right past them. They do pretty good in snow and mud, and just yesterday I took them down to 10 PSI which made them much better with re-frozen slush.

Tony

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 03:32:51 PM »
I have the new Rad road tires which are very quiet . But pretty useless on wet or anything else. Tony.

2wheeler

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2021, 11:45:26 PM »
 The new tires are nice!  I have assembled and highly modified four Radmini Bikes so far and I can tell you there is an improvement in the handling.  The difference is the width of the new tire (late 2020) has been reduced to 3".  This is compared to the early 2020 model that uses a 3.25" tire.  The low speed maneuvering is more predictable. the bike tracks better and can switch back and forth from left and right turns better.  When I wear out my 3.25" tires I will be replacing them with 3" wide tires.  Keep in mind the wider the tire, the harder it is to lean the bike over in a turn use both wheels to turn.  This isn't the first time the tire width has been reduced.  The 2018 Radmini tire was 4" wide.  I never rode one with that width so I can't say how those tires work.  I can say with experience the wider tire on my motorcycle makes it more difficult to turn.  Think of placing a ice cream sugar cone on a table and give it a push.  BTW I have installed 35 amp controllers and color displays on both the Radmini and the Radrover models.  The smaller wheel bike accelerates and stops better.  Yeah the wheels are smaller but a real biker wouldn't complain about it.  There is a difference between the comfort, the Radrover has the rider in the attack position and the Radmini has a much more relaxed position. I guess that's why the Mini was selected 4:1 over the Rover. 

Veggyhed

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 06:57:15 AM »
I am looking forward then to narrower tires for my mini. The biggest complaint I have about my mini is the width of the tires. I know that sounds strange but trying to lock it up to bike racks and such and in some of the handling is kind of a pain in the butt.
I do agree the mini is a very comfortable bike and it's upright rider position is awesome for commuting in traffic.

cmalberto

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2021, 03:05:57 PM »
I just received my Rad Mini 4 - Since I owned a 2019, I didn't look to closely about the new specs. My 2019 has 4" tires with a more aggressive tread pattern. Love it on off road and wet grass. The new Mini 4 has the 3 inch CSTs. After my first ride yesterday, I found them to be very unforgiving when riding off into dry grass no less. I will have to be more mindful of such for the time being. I tend to ride more on roads but want to be able to go off road and not ride like my granny :) - I noticed there are not many(ok almost none) 3 inch replacement tires. Rad has a 3.3 K-Rad that I may have to go with - wonder if I need to replace the size of the tubes as well. Anyone with knowledge that can comment or recommend a solution?

--Mickey A

FortunatelyTheMilk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2021, 09:16:06 PM »
You should be ok with the same tubes. Look for BMX tyres if you want a narrower tyre, or Vee Speedsters for a road biased fatter tyre.

Seth

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2021, 11:05:18 AM »
After getting a screw through the sidewall in the rear of my new mini, I bought the kenda krusade 4”. I noticed that there is no tpi rating on the cst tires (Puncture rating) but the kenda tires that I bought have a tpi of 30 which is more like a motorcycle tire. It’s also quite a bit heavier tire.

sc00ter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2021, 08:15:03 AM »
While riding around the 'Mini ST I really liked the Big Boat tires. I might put them on my "Runner when the stock tires wear out. The Big Boats were quieter and seemed smoother as well.

Jman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2021, 11:53:47 AM »
I immediately removed the street tires on my Mini ST and swapped them for K-Rads.  The noise doesn't bother me but I need the traction for trails.

sc00ter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2021, 08:19:58 PM »
Jman, what did you do with the old Big Boats?

Jman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2021, 10:19:29 PM »
I tossed them in the trash :D. Just kidding, I kept them as spares.

Rad Power Bikes Owners Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2021, 10:19:29 PM »