News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Secondary lock suggestions

Started by BricksNkicks, May 27, 2022, 07:40:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

BricksNkicks

Hello all,

Happy to be part of this group after purchasing a Radcity 4 for my daughter and I to navigate the city we live in (Vancouver, BC). I purchased a 110 cm ABUS lock as a primary lock, but have seen suggestions of getting a secondary lock to perhaps lock up my rear tire to the frame as a deterrent. Can anyone suggest one for me, or perhaps any other suggestions you may have for locking up the bike. Look forward to hearing your responses.

Thanks!!

Ddaybc

I don't know what the geometry of the Radcity 4 looks like so I can't help you there. However I have a RW4 and I currently use three systems. I recommend thinking seriously about them.
One is a folding lock (it's old as I've been using it for about 30 years so I don't know the name anymore) used to lock the seat and seat tube to the frame, Two is a Kryptonite LARGE chain and lock I use to secure the bike to a post or bike station, Three I have the Pinhead system to keep the front wheel secured to the bike. I'm waiting on Pinhead to start making the 40 mm seat post clamp so I can use it to keep the secondary seat stem secured.
The next step I want to take is to purchase the HipLock U lock that's grinder resistant. Due to the expense of ebikes they are starting to be targeted more and more. None of it's fool proof but every little bit helps.

BricksNkicks

Thank you for taking the time to respond!

STARFLYER

Quote from: BricksNkicks on May 27, 2022, 07:40:09 PM
Hello all,

Happy to be part of this group after purchasing a Radcity 4 for my daughter and I to navigate the city we live in (Vancouver, BC). I purchased a 110 cm ABUS lock as a primary lock,

There must be several chain options that would be secure. I have the Rad ABUS primary wheel lock that I consider secure for brief stops. I've added the Rad ABUS adaptor chain which plugs into the ABUS lock with enough chain to tie my Rad Mission a little more secured.  With the chain secured, it prevent a quick grab and throw into a pickup truck. To be honest though, a chain cutter would probably make short work of the chain adaptor. Best prevention, be careful where you park and only do so for a limited time.  All day parking while at the office is dangerous to having a ride home.

Ddaybc

I went out and looked and my chain lock it the Evolution Kryptonite chain and lock. It's very heavy so if I had a standard bike I wouldn't carry it as I'm riding.

I'm trying to upload the picture of the Pinhead axle nut/locking device I mentioned yesterday. I hope this works this time.