News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

RadCity 5 plus dead battery?

Started by freeagents, March 19, 2022, 07:11:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

freeagents

I just received a new RadCity 5 Plus and I can't get the battery to turn on.  The charger indicates that it's fully charged, but none of the lights on the battery will turn on.  Is there some way to reset the battery?  I tried holding the button for a few seconds.

I contacted Rad, they are sending a new charger for me to test before they will send a replacement battery. Not a great start  :(

jcvdd

I would seriously consider a replacement bike under their 14 day return policy for all new bikes with under 10 miles on the odometer. You "possibly" have an issue with the electrical controller especially if you have a fully charged battery and there is no power to the bike. Also no reason why you need to change-out major components on a brand new bike. In my opinion, cancel the order, return the bike and ask for another. If Rad is having so many problems with their quality control, then they have a major problem on their hands. Apparently this is a very common problem with their 5Plus. Good Luck. BTW- All Rad bikes are shipped with batteries partially charged so if you have no power to the bike, then you have another issue than the charger being faulty.

Pull off plastic fuse cover on the battery,check fuse in battery, Rad bike had bike for three weeks and could not figure it out, :-\

DickB

Quote from: 714 on March 27, 2022, 12:33:56 AM
Pull off plastic fuse cover on the battery,check fuse in battery, Rad bike had bike for three weeks and could not figure it out, :-\
The City 5 Plus uses the semi-integrated battery; fuses are inside and per Rad you will void the warranty if you open it up.

DirkM

Our 1 week old RadCity 5 Plus battery will not charge anymore either. Was fine after getting the bike (battery 50%) charged, two bars down after first ride no more charging. Tried my RadRover charger (same battery), same thing. Battery works though, bike runs fine on battery, just the battery will not charge anymore. Waiting to hear form support about next steps.

cerebrix

New to ebikes but not new to things electrical, or mechanical.

Is fuses inside the battery normal in ebike batteries?  I just feel like, looking at some of those how to youtube videos on this topic.  I wonder if it's something as simple as just if the battery gets too hot, it pops the fuse thats in there.

thoughts?

Altema

Quote from: cerebrix on May 26, 2022, 12:58:20 AM

Is fuses inside the battery normal in ebike batteries?  I just feel like, looking at some of those how to youtube videos on this topic.  I wonder if it's something as simple as just if the battery gets too hot, it pops the fuse thats in there.

thoughts?

Fuses inside the battery case are normal. Earlier Rad bikes had the battery fuses accessible via a removable rubber plug, updated models have no user access. Easiest way to tell is with a voltmeter on the output connections.

FL-GK

Quote from: Altema on May 31, 2022, 06:50:37 AM

thoughts?

Fuses inside the battery case are normal. Earlier Rad bikes had the battery fuses accessible via a removable rubber plug, updated models have no user access. Easiest way to tell is with a voltmeter on the output connections.
If the batteries "work" in other words power up the motor but won't take charge that tells me a voltmeter on the output connections would read whatever voltage is available (makes logical sense) what I don't understand is how that tells you if the charging side is not active due to the fuse being blown?

Altema

Quote from: FL-GK on May 31, 2022, 09:11:17 AM

thoughts?

If the batteries "work" in other words power up the motor but won't take charge that tells me a voltmeter on the output connections would read whatever voltage is available (makes logical sense) what I don't understand is how that tells you if the charging side is not active due to the fuse being blown?
The method tells if a fuse is blown, and if both fuses are good then you'll have the same voltage at the output and the charge port. Voltage at the output terminal but not at the charge port means the 5amp fuse is blown, and the battery will not charge.

PS: Be careful when checking the charge port voltage, as the space is tight and it's easy to short the contacts with the probe.

FL-GK

Quote from: Altema on May 31, 2022, 01:30:03 PM

thoughts?

The method tells if a fuse is blown, and if both fuses are good then you'll have the same voltage at the output and the charge port. Voltage at the output terminal but not at the charge port means the 5amp fuse is blown, and the battery will not charge.

PS: Be careful when checking the charge port voltage, as the space is tight and it's easy to short the contacts with the probe.

So, there is TWO fuses, the video I watched only showed one, on what I would say is the left top side of the battery (once you have the actual insides exposed). Are they both in that same location? Thanks for expanding your explanation too that helped for sure. I don't have this problem (yet) but it seems to me to be one of the main things to educate yourself on as it's almost inevitable to happen.

Altema

Quote from: FL-GK on June 02, 2022, 09:06:24 AM
Quote from: Altema on May 31, 2022, 01:30:03 PM

thoughts?

So, there is TWO fuses, the video I watched only showed one, on what I would say is the left top side of the battery (once you have the actual insides exposed). Are they both in that same location? Thanks for expanding your explanation too that helped for sure. I don't have this problem (yet) but it seems to me to be one of the main things to educate yourself on as it's almost inevitable to happen.
On the older batteries they were both on the back. The new battery has the charge circuit fuse inside where you mention (you have to cut open the battery package wrap after removing the access cover). There is a second fuse for the output circuit, but you have to remove the battery cell package from the case and open the blue cover to find it.

DickB

The discharge fuse is on the opposite end and can be accessed in the same way, without completely disassembling the battery.

david.platt@mac.com

Just curious was it the charger.?