News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

BR35 Headlight upgrade and comparison

Started by Altema, November 01, 2020, 07:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

Altema

I was out riding at night again, and came to a nice spot to take some photos comparing the different modes of my main headlight, and also show it relative to the stock Rad headlight on the RadMini 4. The aftermarket headlight is the Nitecore BR35 with a total of 1800 lumens (which I've never used at full power!). The photos were taken with the camera ISO and shutter speed set manually (f/1.8, ISO-249, exposure 1/10 sec).

I normally turn on the stock lights when dusk approaches, so people can see me, then I'll turn on the Nitecore when I need to see better. The stock headlight is a good unit with a controlled beam so that it doesn't blind others, but the beam is a little TOO tight, lighting up a small patch in front of you, and nothing else. The BR35 has two lights, with the "low beam" being mounted below with a diffuser, and the body of the light acts to block it from blinding others when it's aimed properly. The diffuser spreads the light around, and lights up the ground all around the front wheel. The "high beam" is in the main body of the headlight, and gives a round beam pattern with good throw. A remote control button turns the light on and off, and switched between the beams. There are four brightness levels, and I normally use level 2, and switch to level 3 when I need extra power.

The headlight has three modes:
City: Low beam on by default. Remote button activates high beam, but only for three seconds.
Road: Remote button toggles between high and low beams.
Trail: Both beams on by default. Remote button toggles between both beams, or low beam only.

Below is the stock Rad headlight. I keep this light because it works well and is always there.

Below is the Nitecore headlight on low beam only. It lights up the area, including the front wheel, and even your shoes.

This is the high beam, which is mostly for long distance, but still lights up more than just the pavement.

And lastly, this is the high and low beam together in Trail mode.

In all, this setup works out well for my late rides (sometimes past midnight!). The Rad light is reliable as the sun and helps others see me, while the Nitecore handles lighting up the road ahead. If I were to change anything, I'd like the cutoff point of the low beam to be lower. As it it, and have to tilt the light down when riding the streets, then aim it up when on lonely paths. The mount for the light clamps to my handlebar extension with rubber pads, and I keep it tight enough to keep it still, but loose enough so I can tilt it manually. Let me know if you have any questions!

jbfoster

Ryan

Thanks for sharing. That light looks awesome!

Altema

Quote from: jbfoster on November 02, 2020, 05:37:41 PM
Ouch $129
Yes, expensive. But it had the features I was looking for, and it will last many years. I won't have to buy another, and I better not at that price!
There's lots of alternatives that cost less than $50 though, and it depends on your needs.
The batteries are high quality 18650 cells, and should be good for at least 4 years before I replace them.

rheine3

If you ride fast at night you need this. Good post.

FortunatelyTheMilk

A good light transforms nighttime rides. I bought a 2000lumen light for mine and doubled my visibility. Even when it's still night outside I'll leave it on, flashing, so I'm more visible to other road users too.

Altema

Quote from: FortunatelyTheMilk on November 11, 2020, 12:14:07 AM
A good light transforms nighttime rides. I bought a 2000lumen light for mine and doubled my visibility. Even when it's still night outside I'll leave it on, flashing, so I'm more visible to other road users too.
Good lights certainly do transform night rides. Some areas I ride at night have no streetlights and go through the woods. I rode through the woods at night one time when I forgot my big light, and it was not a pleasant experience! Only problem I have now is cars flashing their high beams at me, even when mine is on low.

dittyjamz

I have the BR35 for my Rad Wagon. My wife has the stock light on her Rad Mini. I can attest to the difference being night and day, literally. I can't really see her light when mine is on so the BR35 often paves the way for both of us :)

My issue with the BR35 is that the low/high beam toggle switch consumes the micro USB port so I can't charge it.  I thought a USB Y cable would enable both charging and toggling between high and low beams, but it doesn't. You can only plug one thing in at a time. Regardless, the light lasts for repeated rides between charges so I'm happy. It's a solid light!