News:

Welcome Rad Power Bike owners!

Buying a Rad Power Bike? Support the forum and use my affiliate link: https://bit.ly/2VMSVHl

Be sure to sign up for a free account to see posted images.

Note: To help support to ongoing costs of running
the site we use Amazon affiliate links.

Main Menu

Faulty Radexspand handle bar??

Started by Rolf, October 25, 2022, 09:40:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic Rad E-Bike April 2024 Promotion

JimInPT

I've thought the Contract 5 (I consider that a more-accurate name for it when it 'replaced' the Minis) was a lame replacement for my MiniST since it was introduced, in many ways, mostly having to do with cheaping-out on features and parts; stories like this are swerving me off into the "hating it" weeds.  Probably time to give my MiniST another hug of appreciation that I bought it March '21 when I did ......
Shucks Ma'am, I'm no "Hero Member", I just like to wear this cape.

Eric7

I think the stem of the steering tube do not stick out enough.  I wonder why they have this design. I think I know the answer. That is because they are trying to fit that folding stem. They should find another source for folding stems.

Rolf

Yes the fork steering tube is to short it needs to be at least 3/4 inch taller
To accommodate a stem collar with two bolts, I have no idea what
They were thinking? Cost cutting? Well they wont save any money when
They get a big accident claim against them and loose.
I will not buy this bike because of this, if they come out with proper two
Bolt stem collar I will reconsider.

Radio Runner

Wow, another cost cutting issue with the Rax X panned..Is there a captain aboard this sinking ship?

Eric7

I think Rad is not all that powerful. Same with car companies, I think.  By the way, I am a Rad fan. Like car companies, Rad is a component gatherer and assembler and assembles in China. Nothing wrong with that.

They probably bought an existing design and asked for adjustments and changes.  For example, you can see a number of bikes resembling the MiniST2 and the Expand on the web. They are different but the family resemblance is easy to spot.

Yes, I agree.  They should have bought and specify another folding stem and changed the fork so the steering tube sticks out more.  I have looked at the folding stem removed and it can only take a short steerer tube.

Even if I had to use the existing stem, I would have spec-ed a longer steerer tube and use some spacers. Thus, if the user decides to use another stem, they would have a choice.

Rolf

911 911 calling ?. Anybody out there with the radexspand five anybody with some
Info and opinion on this 911 anybody out there ??

Altema

They went from two bolts in opposing directions, to a single bolt. Big compromise in my book, and as cool as I think folding BMX bars look, I'd replace the fork with a RadMini fork, and put a turtleneck stem from https://www.davidbrandnew.com/ on there.
Not my company or product, but I have two of them and they are very well made.

Rolf

Quote from: Altema on October 30, 2022, 01:06:47 PM
They went from two bolts in opposing directions, to a single bolt. Big compromise in my book, and as cool as I think folding BMX bars look, I'd replace the fork with a RadMini fork, and put a turtleneck stem from https://www.davidbrandnew.com/ on there.
Not my company or product, but I have two of them and they are very well made.
Thanks ?this is interesting